Director or Senior Director, Cell Therapy Process Development (R1555868-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Cell Therapy is one of the most groundbreaking new forms of cancer treatments being studied today. With therapies only in their infancy and BMS’s continued investment in our Cell Therapy capabilities, the growth potential of this science, your career, and the ability to help patients are incredible.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION
The Cell Therapy Drug Product Process Development organization at BMS is seeking a Director/Senior Director of Cell Therapy Drug Product Process Development (DPPD) to lead a team of engineers and scientists in the advancement of next generation cell therapy products and processes. This role will actively shape and define the company’s cell therapy technology future by driving development of innovative production technologies to ensure sustainable success in this highly competitive area. Specifically, the Director/Senior Director will be responsible for the development and deployment of novel process technologies to enable new cell therapy processes and optimize cell therapy manufacturing. The team will be responsible for providing Subject Matter Expertise for ideation, prioritization, and selection of technologies to address process gaps and for tech transfer of these technologies to Process Development teams and into GMP manufacturing. This team will also support process development activities across the product lifecycle, and lead development of knowledge management and data management strategy for the organization.
This position reports to Bristol Myers Squibb’s Executive Director, Drug Product Process Development and works closely with other teams in Cell Therapy Development, Research and Cell Therapy Operations to execute the business objectives of the organization. The Director/Senior Director is responsible for overseeing the development of process technology strategy to provide guidance and rationale for prioritization of technology projects to the Cell Therapy organization The candidate is also responsible for establishing strong working relationships with multiple internal and external stakeholders to advance highly visible process technology projects towards commercial readiness.
The job will be based in Seattle, Washington, with up to 20% travel to internal and external partner organization locations.
SCOPE of Responsibilities
- Lead a team of ~10-20 scientists/engineers with a mission to broadly support the technical needs of the Cell Therapy Drug Product Process Development organization.
- Oversee the development of a technology strategy for process equipment capability development that is aligned with the Research vision of future products and CT Operations requirements of future manufacturing operations.
- Support and lead as appropriate, process development activities for early and late stage assets, ensuring strong linkage between technology strategy and product strategy.
- Oversee the development of novel process and analytical reagents and custom single-use components in close cooperation with material vendors and Process Development teams.
- Oversee the transformation of novel prototype and early development equipment into GMP ready unit operation platforms in preparation for deployment into clinical and commercial manufacturing operations.
- Lead the development of an automation strategy for development and deployment of automated technologies and automation systems for the development labs and input into the GMP cell therapy manufacturing automation.
- Build and drive knowledge management and data management strategies for the organization
- Coordinate with the BMS Business Development organization and the overall CT Technology Strategy organization to execute external technology collaboration projects and perform due diligence assessments for process associated external collaboration opportunities.
- Build high performing teams that excel at working in matrices across BMS. Attract, hire, manage and develop world class scientific, technical and engineering talent and create an environment where they thrive. Manage to budget and head count as appropriate.
- Can-do attitude and ability to work in a highly matrixed and dynamic business environment including ability to interact and communicate to senior level executives.
- Deep scientific curiosity and commitment to advancing therapeutic innovation that provides better options for patients.
- Strong problem-solving and risk-based decision-making skills and a strong ability to influence or manage without direct authority.
- Highly developed interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong management skills and clear ability to influence and effectively align, motivate and empower teams to progress project goals in a cross-functional matrix environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Director: Ph.D in an engineering field with 6-8+ years of experience in design and development of process or analytical systems for biologic, cell and/or gene therapy products. B.S. in a scientific or engineering field with 8-10+ years of process or analytical equipment development experience. Experience in cell and gene therapy technology development preferred.
- Senior Director: Ph.D in an engineering field with 8-10+ years of experience in design and development of process or analytical systems for biologic, cell and/or gene therapy products. B.S. in a scientific or engineering field with 10-12+ years of process or analytical equipment development experience. Experience in cell and gene therapy technology development preferred.
- Experience building and managing technology development and/or engineering organizations.
- Proven record in the successful leadership of technology development projects and deployment of new technologies and systems into GMP operations.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing and executing complex strategic plans and balancing competing priorities.
- Experience in automation technologies and digital/data management is a plus
If you want to challenge yourself, accelerate your career, and give new hope to patients, there’s no better place than here with our Cell Therapy team. Full of incredible and dedicated team members, those working on CAR-T and other forms of Cell Therapy are transforming patients’ lives through science. From studying individualized cell lines to making brand new discoveries, this bold and personal discipline allows you to grow your career while making a lasting impact on the field of medicine. Join us today.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.