Director, Business Development Communications (R1556253-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Corporate Media & Policy Communications, the Director, Business Development Communications, is responsible for strategy and execution of internal and external communications related to corporate partnerships, mergers, and acquisitions (M&A), and other critical deals and events that drive the Bristol Myers Squibb company strategy, growth and impact.Key Responsibilities
- Leads development and execution of an integrated, multi-channel communications strategy to elevate the company’s strategy and business development approach, achievements and partnerships, internally and externally
- Partners closely with company’s strategy and business development team to develop communications strategy and approaches that advance company strategy and team’s priorities
- Maintains detailed knowledge and understanding of company’s strategy and business development, and awareness of larger Corporate Communications plans and objectives
- Identifies, develops, and supports unique storylines, content, and thought-leadership opportunities relative to business development that advance BMS’s company growth and innovation narratives.
- Develops communications strategies, approaches, and materials for partnerships, deals, and other announcements, and liaises with partner companies on supporting plans, tactics and timing
- Oversees business development news-flow
- Ensures growth in relationships with key members of the business and M&A media and other market influencers and oversees top-tier media engagements
- Monitors and analyzes impact of business development communications externally; and maintains up-to-date information on relative topics that could impact the business and its business development strategy
- Develops and fosters collaborative relationships across corporate, science, and financial Corporate Affairs teams to ensure strategic alignment and drive effective, cohesive, and complementary communications in support of broader BMS company objectives
- Supports internal communications, including executive communications, to maximize visibility of BMS’s business development strategy.
- Stays abreast of trends and best practices in business development communications across the life sciences industry.
- Utilizes business intelligence and analytics to make data-driven decisions to inform communications strategies and boost stakeholder audience engagement.
- Supports issues management preparedness, strategy, and response for corporate issues related to business development.
- Oversees management of agency partners and corresponding budgets
- Leads, manages, and supports team members, promoting a high-performance culture aligned with business goals, emphasizing accountability for results, and fostering career development opportunities
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in corporate, M&A and/or financial communications in a large organization or agency setting
- Experience in the life sciences or healthcare industries preferred, or a combination of education and professional experience that would provide an equivalent career foundation
- Ability to interact effectively with colleagues and counterparts at all levels of the company, both within the Corporate Communications team and across the larger matrixed organization
- Ability to effectively counsel senior leaders
- Exceptional collaborative and team-building skills
- Superior written, verbal, editing, and interpersonal communications skills
- Strong research and analytical skills, with a keen attention to detail
- Ability to learn the business quickly and excel in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Self-directed with proven ability to meet tight deadlines and balance multiple initiatives with competing priorities
- Proficiency with digital communications and effective use of social media platforms
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in communications or related field
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.