Associate Director, IT Business Partnering, Medical Capabilities (R1558509-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Associate Director, IT Business Partnering, Medical Capabilities
Associate Director, IT Business Partnering, Medical Capabilities is accountable for the effective delivery of IT capabilities and services supporting the Medical Capabilities and Global Medical Teams at BMS. This is a senior role partnering with stakeholders in the BMS Medical Capabilities Team and other global Medical Affairs Leadership Teams to define and drive digital capabilities to meet their specific strategic needs. This position has a focus on enabling required digital capabilities related to Medical product launches and operational aspects of the Global Medical Capabilities team & the entire Medical Affairs team globally. This role is accountable for positioning BMS Medical Affairs for success in the digital era. The BMS Medical Affairs organization collaborates with healthcare providers and decision makers globally to help patients prevail over serious diseases by advancing clinical science and enabling the appropriate adoption of our medicines. You will be expected to lead and accelerate Medical’s digitization through technology innovation, ensure that their information capabilities and operations are reliable, accessible and secure, and enable them to become competitively differentiated in a rapidly-changing complex scientific landscape. You will partner closely with IT matrix teams and other Commercialization & Enterprise matrix teams such as Worldwide Customer Capabilities to drive digital capabilities across Medical Affairs with an enterprise mindset. You will build strong partnerships with designated Medical leadership teams to drive consistent adoption of digital capabilities and innovation opportunities.
Provide domain leadership:
- Owns the IT strategy: Drives the development of realistic and actionable multi-year strategic digital capability roadmaps, informed and prioritized by business and IT in an enterprise context. Prioritizes the portfolio appropriately and is accountable for the overall portfolio budget management.
- Develops compelling business cases: Leads the prioritization and development of strong and clear business cases for digital capability investments in support of the roadmap and aligned with the platform strategy. Defines, measures, & achieves business outcomes for highest value (at the lowest cost) digital capabilities.
- Brings an external view: Actively maintains awareness of external drivers in the business domain and relevant technology trends, and brings new ideas.
- Knows what value looks like: Understands where BMS should be competitively differentiated through technology in Medical Affairs, translates business needs into specific business requirements, sees realistic opportunities for IT to add more value, and balances this with a pragmatic understanding of “fitness for purpose”.
Provide strategic leadership:
- Builds strong partnerships with senior leaders of Medical Affairs: Is viewed by senior business leaders as an effective partner who plans and delivers digital capabilities, safeguards their digital assets and supports their strategic goals.
- Recognized as a thought leader and trusted advisor: Influences the strategic thinking of senior business leaders, and helps business leaders to include future digital capabilities into their planning.
- Owns the relationship: Has effective working relationships with all relevant business leaders, is deeply involved with key business activities and forums, is responsible for building and managing effective business partnership at all levels during project execution, and takes full accountability for delivering the value proposition of IT.
- Drives change: Ensures effective planning, execution and communication of business change management to support digital capability investments, including business process changes to achieve maximum value from investments. Accountable for ensuring an effective change management plan is in place for their individual projects.
Leverages the matrix to drive portfolio execution:
Demonstrates Matrix leadership by ensuring that all IT functions are successful in their delivery of services to Medical Affairs. Key internal IT partners include:
o Business-aligned IT teams supporting Medical Affairs and Commercial teams
o Enterprise Technology Delivery functions, including Business Applications, Veeva Platform Services, User Experience, Program Management and Enterprise Architecture
Empowers delivery teams: Understands IT business partner accountabilities throughout the portfolio lifecycle, and builds empowered and trusting partnerships with IT delivery team members at all levels.
Constructively advocates for value: Ensures delivery teams understand how to make the right trade-offs between speed, quality and cost. Connects the business stakeholders with the broader IT services. Ensures value is being captured from the entire lifecycle of the investment (from launch through retirement).
Shows good judgement in communication: Communicates successes and issues accurately, urgently, and to the right audience, and takes accountability for ensuring effective management of expectations with business leaders.
Boldly acts with urgency: Shows courage, tenacity and respect to provoke uncomfortable conversations in order to remove roadblocks to value delivery.
- Strong domain expertise in the application of IT to Medical Affairs, including a broad understanding of relevant Medical business capabilities (Publications, Medical Information, Medical Inquiry management, Scientific Content Management, web based digital capability services, etc.) and how they are enabled by technology solutions.
- 10+ years’ experience in leadership roles in Pharmaceuticals IT for Medical Affairs or Commercial functions.
- Track record of leading the analysis of complex and ambiguous business needs, and integrating those into compelling and actionable strategic plans and investment business cases with global reach including US, Europe and Asia.
- Experience in driving digital capabilities to enhance external customer experience.
- Demonstrable commitment to assess and apply innovative new technologies to use cases in Medical Affairs (e.g. artificial intelligence, robotic process automation), achieving a balance between pragmatic value and transformation.
- Experience of large-scale SaaS deployments, and how to work with SaaS partners ensure maximum value and effectiveness.
- Experience of maximizing value from enterprise IT platforms, including Veeva and salesforce.com.
- Working knowledge of agile methodologies applied to SDLC and IT services.
- Ability to drive strategic connections between Medical Affairs, Commercial and Clinical Development functions with an enterprise mindset and reimagine digital capabilities.
- Goal-oriented self-starter with ability to influence teams toward an executable vision.
- Seasoned line and matrix management skills, with a particular emphasis on energizing and developing experienced IT professionals spread across multiple functions.
- Demonstrated ability to create and support a dynamic culture of innovation and continuous improvement in line reports and in the matrix.
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and presentation skills.
- A network of external advisors and resources.
§ Requires BS, MBA is strongly preferred.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.