Director, Corporate Development Transactions
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Director, Corporate Development Transactions candidate will possess strong business acumen with experience in the life sciences and biopharmaceutical industry. An understanding of the deal making process in the industry is required as the candidate will lead transaction related activities for M&A, and other corporate strategic transactions, including outlicensing, in support of BMS strategy and objectives.. The candidate is required to have strong interpersonal skills and work with multiple internal stakeholders to facilitate highly visible and time-sensitive business development (BD) projects. Furthermore, the candidate will provide transaction support in performing strategic and commercial analyses of M&A and other strategic/licensing opportunities, collaborating with other business units to perform due diligence and valuation, and managing the transaction process. Prior experience in M&A and licensing is required.
- Demonstrate leadership and business acumen while collaborating closely with internal Search & Evaluation (S&E), Enterprise Strategy, R&D, Finance, and Commercial stakeholders and potential external partners.
- Lead or support deal teams to negotiate, contract, and execute complex deals.
- Facilitate structuring, negotiating, and executing complex M&A and other strategic transactions, including outlicensing, to successful completion.
- Efficiently lead cross-functional team meetings and communicate updates to leadership.
- Responsible for coordinating team meetings, preparing agendas, and minutes for various BD related transaction teams as needed.
- Lead participation as needed in BD external partnering events (JPM, BIO, BIO EU, BMS Partnering Days etc.) and relevant technical / scientific meetings, including preparing materials such as presentations, FAQ, and related documents.
- Lead and support the M&A or strategic/licensing transaction deal process:
- Lead project team interactions with functional representatives, including those from third parties (i.e., bankers, lawyers, accountants, buyers, and consultants, etc.).
- Provide insights to the commercial and financial evaluation process, assumptions, and outputs.
- Lead and manage the development, drafting, and execution of project team deliverables and recommendations.
- Ensure robustness of the overall transaction process and complete transactions under sensitive timelines.
- Recommend/develop proposed deal structure and terms for transactions, utilizing an in-depth knowledge of industry deal-making trends.
- Lead or support the delivery of business assessments and recommendations of external M&A or strategic/licensing opportunities, including deal proposals, valuation, deal status, and key issues of the transaction to BMS governance bodies for endorsement.
- Articulate, advocate, and present transaction opportunities, company profiles and summaries, including commercial, scientific, and financial value drivers.
- Set priorities based on a deep understanding of needs to effectively utilize organizational resources across multiple simultaneous projects.
- Lead or assist in negotiating transactions and communicate key deal issues, risks, and updates to leadership and senior internal stakeholders, including collaborating with Legal in drafting and revision of contracts.
- Present to senior internal and external stakeholders.
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum 6 years of experience within business development, including at least 3 years in Healthcare and/or Life Sciences (Pharma and Biotech ideal) and a minimum of 2 years of relevant M&A and licensing transactions experience (e.g., sourcing, managing, negotiating, and executing a significant number of closed M&A/BD deals, including a few major or complex transactions). Deal sheet required.
- MBA, JD, or other advanced business degree preferred.
- Ability to analyze and understand sales forecasts, P&Ls, risk analyses, and company valuations, strong understanding of discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rates of return and risk analysis techniques.
- Ability to assess opportunities across therapeutic areas, research and technology platforms, and collaboration structures with relevant internal BMS stakeholders. Ability to integrate scientific knowledge into business model.
- Subject matter expert in the M&A and licensing processes and landscape. Good understanding of the drug development, approval, and commercialization process.
- Ability to develop deal structures and working knowledge of industry deal trends.
- Strong knowledge of pharmaceutical industry issues, trends, and their business impact.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with a high degree of independence.
- Consistently delivers on commitments in a timely manner.
- Strong analytical, communication, leadership, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to communicate effectively with senior management internally and externally.
- Demonstrated strong negotiation skills.
- Lead or support the M&A or licensing team on all aspects of major deals.
- Competence in reviewing and editing contracts and providing direction to Legal in term sheets and contracts.
- Ability to influence analysis undertaken by other functions. Works well with and exerts influence on multi-disciplinary teams. Facilitates candid dialogue and cross-functional collaboration.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.