Associate Director, IT Business Partner, R&D Strategy and Planning (R1559397-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Associate Director, IT Business Partner, R&D Strategy and Planning is accountable for the effective delivery of IT capabilities and services supporting R&D Portfolio Operations at BMS. This role will work with key business stakeholders to assess strategic and tactical needs towards defining process and technology solutions that align with business objectives related to R&D Strategy & Planning and R&D Finance with a focus on business process optimization and R&D portfolio and project planning and management capabilities. In addition, this role will understand relevant industry regulations, standards, best practices, strategies, and tools and will formulate recommendations and influence business direction based upon this information. The role contributes to the digital strategy of the company and collaborates across IT to identify strategic and innovative uses of technology, leveraging enterprise platforms and cloud solutions to drive business growth and profitability.
Provide domain leadership:
- Owns the IT strategy: Drives the development of realistic and actionable multi-year strategic digital capability roadmaps, informed and prioritized by business and IT in an enterprise context. Prioritizes the related IT portfolio appropriately and is accountable for the budget management.
- Develops compelling business cases: Leads the prioritization and development of strong and clear business cases for digital capability investments in support of the roadmap and aligned with the platform strategy. Defines, measures, & achieves business outcomes for highest value (at the lowest cost) digital capabilities.
- Brings an external view: Actively maintains awareness of external drivers in the business domain and relevant technology trends, and brings new ideas.
- Knows what value looks like: Understands where BMS should be competitively differentiated through technology in R&D Portfolio Operations, translates business needs into specific business requirements, sees realistic opportunities for IT to add more value, and balances this with a pragmatic understanding of “fitness for purpose.”
Provide strategic leadership:
- Builds strong partnerships with senior leaders of Portfolio Operations: Is viewed by senior business leaders as an effective partner who plans and delivers digital capabilities, safeguards their digital assets and supports their strategic goals.
- Recognized as a thought leader and trusted advisor: Influences the strategic thinking of senior business leaders and helps business leaders to include future digital capabilities into their planning.
- Owns the IT relationship: Has effective working relationships with all relevant business leaders, is involved with key business activities and forums, is responsible for building and managing effective business partnership at all levels during project execution, and takes full accountability for delivering the value proposition of IT.
- Drives change: Ensures effective planning, execution and communication of business change management to support digital capability investments, including business process changes to achieve maximum value from investments. Accountable for ensuring an effective change management plan is in place for their individual projects.
Leverages the matrix to drive portfolio execution:
- Demonstrates Matrix leadership by ensuring that all IT functions are successful in their delivery of services to R&D Strategy and Planning.
- Constructively advocates for value: Ensures IT teams understand how to make the right trade-offs between speed, quality and cost. Connects the business stakeholders with the broader IT services. Ensures value is being captured from the entire lifecycle of the investment (from launch through retirement).
- Shows good judgement in communication: Communicates successes and issues accurately, urgently, and to the right audience, and takes accountability for ensuring effective management of expectations with business leaders.
- Boldly acts with urgency: Communicates and acts with courage, tenacity and respect to remove barriers to value-driven capability delivery.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Proven track record of 8+ years working in large and/or complex IT programs, preferably within the pharmaceutical R&D domain.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry and an understanding of the drug development and commercialization life cycle.
- Track record of leading the analysis of complex and ambiguous business needs and integrating those into compelling, actionable strategic plans and investment business cases.
- Excellent collaboration, communication, and presentation skills with expert proficiency in framing and delivering messages via multiple modalities and at across organizational levels.
- Demonstrated ability to influence the scope and direction of initiatives across multiple levels of management and organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and define business processes is required.
- Demonstrated ability to use structured problem solving and available tools to quickly evaluate problems, identify root cause, create action plans, assess impact and develop resolution options.
- Proven experience working with structured Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) principles.
- Experience with end-to-end capability ownership is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience defining and measuring business outcomes is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience of business process modeling and process optimization skills is preferred.
- Requires BS, MBA is strongly preferred; focus on Computer Science or Information Technology preferred.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.