Associate Director, Compensation - Research & Development
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
As a member of the Total Rewards CoE, the Associate Director, Compensation for Research & Development is accountable for leading broad-based compensation across assigned functions within the global research and drug development organizations. This role will also support compensation matters for small M&A transactions given the R&D focused nature of most smaller deals.
- Manages day-to-day broad-based compensation across assigned areas of Research and Development. Provides data and insight driven input to contribute to the overall compensation strategy for R&D as well as the overall BMS comp strategy.
- Collaborates with and serves as subject matter expert consultant for broad-based compensation programs to partners such as R&D HRBPs, business leaders and matrix partners such as HR Legal, Finance, etc., demonstrating peer-to-peer influencing across
- Supports development and implementation of Global Compensation strategy and design into R&D including comp-related communications for pull through of messaging.
- Develops geographic and scientific discipline market insights to drive broad-based comp strategies and solutions with R&D’s highly competitive footprint.
- Optimize the efficiency / simplicity of the R&D job catalog and associated market data. Drive continuous improvement of market data generation and analyses, including partnering with external data sources to fill data gaps.
- Develop compelling external offers that balance attracting critical skill sets and leaders with good financial stewardship, and similarly compelling internal lateral and promotional analyses.
- Serve as advisor and escalation point for Talent Acquisition and Total Rewards Operations teams for compensation matters. May support with training and development and rollout of business unit specific or enterprise compensation programs.
- Support broad-based compensation team lead for on small, non- to moderately-complex M&A transactions, including supporting deal discussions, retention design, offer creation and integration of employees into the BMS compensation construct.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. Advanced degree preferred. CCP certification preferred.
- Previous experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job (comparable to 9+ years’ experience) or equivalent combination of education, training & experience
- Strongly prefer experience in a broad-based compensation role for a large, complex company.
- Working knowledge and broad understanding of the Biopharmaceutical research and development, and the issues facing it.
- Experience in influencing outcomes in a highly-matrixed environment and operating model Demonstrated ability to successfully and effectively collaborate, cooperate and work across teams, including building strong external relationships for market insights.
- Proven agility in prioritizing and navigating competing demands, and navigating the ambiguity of a constantly evolving complex organization. Proven ability to deliver accurate work products in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities
- Ability to navigate through a complex and dynamic healthcare environment.
- Ability to synthesize how scientific issues may affect compensation strategy and turn into meaningful actions.
- Ability to synthesize large data sets into identifiable and actionable compensation outcomes, and influence partners and very senior scientific leaders on those recommendations.
- Experience leading projects with high risk and complexity; developing the strategy for project execution.
- Strong business and financial acumen.
- Excellent analytical skills and proficiency in developing detailed analysis, program calculations, and data modeling.
- May require minimal as-needed travel (<10%)
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.