Director of Business Development (2110570)
We are the world’s learning company with more than 24,000 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment,powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people.
The Director of Business Development is a key member of the sales and business development team at Pearson Online Learning Services (POLS), a high-growth business unit within Pearson. We are seeking an experienced BD professional with expertise developing and closing complex solutions in partnership with universities and colleges. The Director, Business Development will be responsible for academic partnership prospecting and growth.
Further, the Director, Business Development must effectively collaborate internally – including with Academic Strategy, Marketing, Finance, Account Management, and other functions -- to identify, assess, develop, and close opportunities aligned with the overall POLS strategy for growth. This position is a critical member of the Business Development team and, as such, will frequently work closely with senior leaders both within the business unit at Pearson and at the highest levels of leadership at universities, colleges, and employers. The ideal Director of Business Development will bring a solid blend of strategic mindset; active team management and supports; drive for results; relationship-building across functions and levels, both internally and externally; flexible, creative approaches; and humble confidence as a servant leader.
- Responsible for POLS sales and business development primarily by developing and growing new university and college partnerships
- Develop and coordinate activities across a complex sales cycle
- Develop strategies, initiatives, and plans that result in strategically aligned growth opportunities
- Analyze and evaluate the effectiveness of sales, methods, costs, and results in order to increase team effectiveness and deal signings
- Establish and implement short and long-range sales goals and objectives.
- Drive alignment between partners and POLS, including by engaging internal POLS teams.
- Manage day-to-day activities through pipeline tracking; connections with peers and stakeholders in our company and the industry; creating strong, multi-level stakeholder relationships with academic partners; and staying abreast of major industry trends and emerging areas of learning in higher-ed.
- 10 years’ experience with a successful track record in sales or business development or related customer-facing role in higher education or a related field.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience in selling intangibles – selling complex, long-term partnership solutions vs. products
- Hands-on leader with a high degree of personal accountability and integrity.
- Communicate effectively and establish cooperative working relationships.
- Excellent negotiation skills and experience developing and structuring agreements to support POLS and partner objectives.
- Results-oriented professional with strong work ethic.
- A team player who has a proven track record of driving business development opportunities to closure within the framework of a targeted go-to-market strategy and matrixed internal team structure
- Outstanding interpersonal, written communication and strong/succinct oral communication skills essential.
- Strong relationship builder – both internally and externally.
- Ability to travel up to 50 to 60% of the time.
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Organization: Technology & Operations
Req ID: 2110570