Director Learning and Development (838269800)
Apply early as this job may be removed or filled prior to the closing date, which is approximately seven (7) days after the posting date.
Job Location: Fort Worth
Other Potential Locations: Fort Worth, TX
Anticipated Start Date: 02/16/2022
Number of Positions: 1
Salary Range: $94,100 - $125,500
Who we are and what we do
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety and service that play a vital role in delivering the nation's freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. Our rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
What we believe
At BNSF, our Vision and Values drive who we are, not only in our words, but also our actions. BNSF is committed to our foundational values of equality and inclusion. As members of the BNSF community, our employees are entitled to:
- be treated with dignity and respect.
- have equal access to tools, resources, training and development opportunities.
- have equal opportunity to achieve their full potential.
We model the way through our leadership, our BNSF Diversity Councils, our eclectic Business Resource Groups, our deep involvement and investment in the communities we serve and through training programs. Our actions create an inclusive, open and collaborative workplace that encourages diverse perspectives in all interactions.
This position is located at our Fort Worth, TX corporate office and has the potential to be a hybrid position with up to 50% remote work.
As the Director, Learning and Development, you will design and implement the strategy for enterprise-wide learning and development programs. You will oversee processes and systems to ensure efficiency of learning execution. You will report to BNSF’s AVP, Talent Management, and lead 2 direct reports and oversee several professional development vendor partners.
Stepping into this role, you will design the strategy and implement enterprise-wide learning programs, tools, processes and metrics that successfully onboard, engage, and develop a diverse workforce.
To succeed in this role, you will need experience in learning development and administration. You should be a collaborative leader who can form relationships and influence across the company’s many different levels, geographies and employee types. Finally, you should be passionate about creating and executing enterprise wide learning and development solutions.
- Oversee the companywide learning and professional development portfolio; ensure training (online and instructor-led) programs and tools meet the needs of BNSF employees.
- Create and implement onboarding programs aligned to BNSF’s strategy to achieve business goals and to strengthen company culture; ensure programs prepare newly hired and newly promoted employees for their roles.
- Partner with Operations leaders to develop and execute on annual safety leadership programs for nearly 1400 BNSF supervisors.
- Develop, enhance and ensure impact for the companywide tuition reimbursement program.
- Partner with learning leaders to develop tools for the online leadership and professional development portal.
- Partner with business owners with execution of companywide compliance curricula; ensure compliance with critical programs.
- Oversee the companywide award process for learning, talent, and diversity and inclusion awards.
- Design and implement training utilizing the SuccessFactors myLearning system.
- Continually assess and benchmark the competitiveness of all programs and practices against relevant comparable companies, industries and markets.
- Develop and proactively report on metrics to determine and ensure program effectiveness and continuous improvement.
- Influence companywide efficient and effective learning and development through the BNSF Training Governance processes.
- Manage company-wide training investments to ensure alignment and efficiency.
Knowledge Base and Experience
- Experience implementing learning strategies, programs and processes with a proven track record of delivering outcomes.
- Operated within an organization of a similar size and scale to BNSF. Understands how to manage initiatives for a geographically dispersed population.
- An ability to weave the BNSF leadership model into the culture of the organization to connect to the organizational vision, values and business strategy.
Professional and Cultural Characteristics
- Exceptional communicator who can effectively collaborate, influence and connect.
- Effectively forms relationships at all levels across geographies and business units, influencing and gaining commitment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with strict deadlines.
- Data-oriented and analytics driven, able to identify and track success metrics.
- A strong ability to assess organizational needs, understand the history of the organization, and adapt to an environment with a highly developed culture.
- Five or more years of leadership experience, with an emphasis on learning and talent development roles.
- Two or more years of experience leading a team.
- Two or more years of experience with learning management systems
- Bachelor’s degree
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience with Tableau and/or Power BI preferred
BNSF offers competitive benefit programs and services including, but not limited to
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401(k) Plan
- Railroad Retirement
- Life Insurance
- Incentive Compensation Plan (ICP)
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ELEMENTS
- Criminal history
- Last 7 years of driving history
- Last 5 years of employment history to include military service
- Social Security number
- Medical evaluation
- Drug Screen
- Other elements as needed
COVID-19 Federal Vaccine Mandate
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to affect all aspects of our lives. From the onset, BNSF’s goals have remained the same: keep our people safe and maintain our essential operations. While we maintained that the decision to be vaccinated for COVID-19 is a personal one, we also encouraged employees to consider the options and make the best decision for themselves and their families.
Under President Biden’s COVID-19 Action Plan, BNSF is covered by the federal mandate requiring vaccination. Effective December 8, 2021, BNSF has paused its implementation of the COVID-19 vaccine mandate given the dynamic legal proceedings. The ultimate outcome of the federal contractor vaccine mandate is yet to be determined. It is still possible that the mandate, as it applies to BNSF, could be upheld in court in the near future. If this happens, BNSF employees would be required to be vaccinated.
BNSF Railway is an Equal Opportunity Employer, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status.
SF: Internal Posting Only; MO | [[mfield5]] | Human Resources | Fort Worth, TX | 76131