Senior Manager-Software Development
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Global Technology Solutions (GTS) Group has an opening for a Senior Software Development Manager responsible for strategy and implementation of systems solutions that support Verizon’s Wireless Digital Sales and Service systems. This Senior Manager will work with and develop their team to deliver high-quality, high-value data products.
The Senior Software Development Manager is responsible for leading a team that will support the analysis and design of major functional enhancements to the application and continued modifications over time to support Verizon’s ever changing product and system landscape. The team will define the high-level data flow architecture, system-level requirements, data transformations, and configuration changes for the application and its upstream and downstream systems. In addition, you will be responsible for documenting end user requirements, evaluating business process implications, creating technical documentation including functional and technical designs, and defining business and data migration rules. The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, strategic thinker, people manager, and hands-on leader committed to the team effort required to design and implement optimal system solutions for complex issues and business processes.
- Bolster, develop, motivate and retain a world-class team and be responsible for the overall direction, coordination and continuous evaluation of the team, while fostering individual career development and high morale.
- Provide leadership on complex projects, mentoring the team with specific emphasis on data and systems analysis, functional design, and testing.
- Responsible for architecture, design, business rule development, and testing of new and enhanced functionality within the revenue recognition application and source systems.
- Act as a liaison between IT and business community to develop business and system requirements based on input gathered from a variety of sources including analysis and feedback from end user, subject matter experts and architects.
- Analyze complex business requirements and translate requirements into application designs and data model solutions that best represent and serve the business and data requirements and meet system and reporting needs.
- Understand business and technical requirements and ensure software design and capabilities are aligned with requirements.
- Provide solution and subject matter expertise and apply strategic thinking to identify new process and technology opportunities to enhance the performance of the revenue recognition application.
- Present problem statements/data/conclusions/recommendations in a consumable, meaningful, and insightful manner.
- Analyze complex business problems and issues using data from internal sources to provide strategic and actionable business insights to decision-makers. Develop and deliver data-driven solutions to support business needs and analytics.
- Guide team to perform complex, detailed data analysis to validate, model, and identify and interpret trends and patterns in the data with the purpose of understanding and developing recommendations and solutions for complex business issues.
- Utilize advanced data mining techniques to analyze large data sets with the goal of understanding data for use in data mapping, data transformation, system/business rules, and identifying operational improvements.
- Make tactical, data-driven decisions leveraging experience and with consideration for competing priorities.
- Transform data into opportunities (i.e., establish hypotheses, dig into the data, and seek to understand root causes) to drive business impact.
- Identify gaps in data and determine what data must be obtained and integrated to meet the needs of the business.
- Work with cross-functional teams to define and deliver solutions for the use, extraction, and transformation of data.
- Review project deliverables such as designs and requirements for completeness, quality, and compliance with the revenue recognition standard.
- Excellent communication abilities to articulate the vision and translate complex issues into comprehensible ideas and concepts.
- Manage software delivery with both onshore and offshore resource teams and with IT vendors. Improve global team productivity.
- Handle administrative and resource management of a portfolio comprising multiple projects and large teams. Accountable for sound financial decisions required to manage significant capital and expense budgets.
Where you’ll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in system implementations including end-to-end design.
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Experience with IT DevOps tooling and CI/CD practices.
- Experience in a high-performance, high-availability environment development.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master’s degree in Computer Science.
- Eight or more years of related experience in system implementations including end-to-end design.
- Experience with AWS, Teradata, Cloud Platforms (Oracle OCI, MS Azure, AWS) and other modern data platform technologies.
- Three or more years of experience managing DevOps products (e.g., Gitlab, Jira, Jenkins, Artifactory).
- Experience in Microservices, Web Services, Spring, Web Logic, Web Sphere, or Oracle.
- Technology and Cloud certification.
- Experience with data warehousing, data integration, data quality assurance, data modelling, and ad-hoc analysis.
- Proven management skills and the ability to inspire others to achieve success.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Proven analytical, planning, problem solving, and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and competing priorities.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative team, embrace change, and work in an iterative development environment.
- Working knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle practices, utilizing Agile methodologies.
- Significant experience in developing business or technology strategy and advanced skill influencing and guiding strategic thinking.
- Experience and comfort with data – understanding data, synthesizing and visualizing actionable insights.
- Maintain a high level of employee morale within the team, motivating them to adhere to best practices and deliver outstanding service.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.