Senior Manager Software Development
- Manage a software engineering team performing new feature development and maintenance of a large-scale, high-throughput data processing system consisting of hundreds of servers.
- Lead the team in managing workflow using Agile processes and tools.
- Guide and manage system integration involving hardware, software, network, and database components.
- Work with project managers and technical team to understand and solve challenging technical problems in order to define solutions with effort estimates.
- Collaborate with network engineering and field engineering teams.
- Interface with customers to learn and understand requirements as well as describe proposed solutions, providing both pre-sales and post-sales support.
- Promote continuous improvement of the environment through new tools for automation, monitoring, and rapid deployment.
- Review and approve system solution description documents.
- Mentor, coach, and guide team performance.
What we're looking for...
You enjoy using your analytical mind to solve complex problems. You work well in a team environment and can communicate effectively. You are passionate about finding solutions in a fast-paced environment. You develop positive relationships and innovative solutions, which makes you a productive collaborator.
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree, or four or more years of work experience
- Six or more years of relevant work experience
- Hands-on experience developing software in Java, C/C++, Python, and Go.
- Must be able to pass an extensive background investigation as a condition of employment.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A Bachelor's degree or six or more years of work experience managing and mentoring technical teams.
- A Master's degree in computer science or computer engineering.
- Ten or more years of work experience building and supporting large-scale, complex multi-server software systems on Linux platforms
- Experience developing systems using IP protocols like SMTP and DNS.
- Experience developing systems using traditional databases like MySQL.
- Experience in project management using agile methodologies such as Kanban and Scrum, and tools such as Jira.
- Proven experience in leading multiple Software projects/development teams.
- Experience triaging/handling high pressure issues and requests.
- Experience with performance tuning, scalability and availability in a Big Data environment.
- Knowledge and experience of Docker/Container technologies.
Verizon is committed to maintaining a Total Rewards package which is competitive, valued by our employees, and differentiates us as an Employer of Choice.
- We are a 'pay for performance' company and your contribution is rewarded through competitive salaries, performance-based incentives and an employee Stock Program. We create an opportunity for us all to share in the success of Verizon and the value we help to create through this broad-based discretionary equity award program.
- Your benefits are market competitive and delivered by some of the best providers.
- You are provided with a full spectrum of health and wellbeing resources, including a first in-class Employee Assistance Program, to empower you to make positive health decisions.
- We offer generous paid time off benefits.
- Verizon provides training and development for all levels, to help you enhance your skills and develop your career, from funding towards education assistance, award-winning training, online development tools and access to industry research.
- You will be able to take part in volunteering opportunities as part of our environmental, community and sustainability commitment.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Where you'll be working
In this worksite-based role, you'll work onsite at a defined location(s).
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.