Strategy & Business Development Manager - Global Utility Segment
Eaton Corporation is currently seeking a Strategy & Business Development Manager – Global Utility Segment to join our team. This position is a hybrid work model and can be based at the following Eaton locations: Beachwood OH, Moon Township PA or Waukesha WI. Relocation assistance within hiring country is offered for this position.
The Strategy & Business Development Manager will be assigned to high-priority projects for the Global Utility Segment (e.g. assessment of a new industry spaces / market adjacencies; evaluation of market entry options in new geographies; development and leadership of cross functional growth initiatives) as required by Eaton’s Electrical Sector Leadership Team. This leadership role will play a key role in driving the growth of a multi-billion dollar business. The Strategy & Business Development Manager is a true strategic partner to the Electrical Sector leadership team, driving growth in a meaningful and holistic way.
This position will work with leaders from Eaton’s Electrical Sector; individual Divisions (Business Units); Corporate Development & Planning (CD&P); and others on the Strategy and Business Development team to identify and help execute growth and profitability improvement initiatives for the Electrical Sector. This position involves significant ongoing strategic and financial analysis aimed at assessing the health and competitive positioning of the Electrical Sector. This position has a central role supporting Utility Segment related strategic planning while articulating Electrical Sector strategies to internal and external audiences.
In addition, the Strategy & Business Development Manager will support acquisition pipeline development. This includes continually expanding, managing, and co-leading opportunities connected to specific acquisition, divestiture, joint venture, and minority investment opportunities. This position will be expected to perform at the highest level and have the professional presence to communicate and operate comfortably and efficiently with senior executives.
Essential functions include:
• Support strategic planning efforts for Electrical Sector and individual Divisions (Business Units):
o Work with segment and business leadership teams to identify growth opportunities and priorities
o Conduct ongoing analysis of target markets, Eaton’s Electrical Sector business, and its competitors
o Help develop strategic rationale and quantify organic and inorganic investment requirements
o Create formal Strategic Plan documents for Divisions (Business Units) and the Electrical Sector
• Work with Segment and Business Leaders to identify growth platforms and build / manage the acquisition pipeline:
o Identify and research companies that fit with growth priorities and strategies
o Prioritize M&A targets and monitor their performance
o In some cases, establish contact with and maintain ongoing cultivation of target companies
• Support teams in evaluating specific acquisition, divestiture, joint venture, or minority investment opportunities:
o Work with Sector business leaders to articulate strategic rationale for investing
o Prepare a complete business case with robust strategic and financial analyses
o Coordinate CD&P and Division (Business Unit) activity to develop common view on qualitative and quantitative deal model and rationale
o Support CD&P in gathering input from business teams, reviewing and revising legal documents, developing and executing negotiation approaches, and resolving open issues that could affect the transaction or valuation
o Support business unit leaders in mergers & acquisition (M&A) tools and processes and ensure CD&P understands the strategic priorities of the Electrical Sector’s Divisions (Business Units)
• Support coordination of global segments and product lines by working with segment leaders on strategy, product roadmap, manufacturing footprint, and commercial approaches.
• Participate or lead special, cross-functional initiatives playing a central role in ongoing assessment and analysis of overall market dynamics and Sector performance and against competitors
• Develop point of view on Eaton’s segment market share, market segment trends, and overall Sector financial performance
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Engineering, Finance or a related field from an accredited institution
• Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience, primarily with experience working in management consulting, investment banking, in-house corporate strategy, product management, and/or corporate development settings
• Minimum of two (2) years’ experience using strategic frameworks and analytical tools and conducting industry / market / competitor / business case analyses in strategic planning or product management functions
• Minimum one (1) year experience working in the energy or utility industry either directly as an advisor or as a supplier
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without Company sponsorship both now and in the future
• Master’s Degree in Business Administration
• Professional experience working in large global matrix environments
• Prior business valuation and deal experience, especially in an investment banking of private equity setting
• Exceptionally well-developed written communication skills and ability to craft compelling presentations
• Demonstrated experience in a finance role or a position that required daily use of excel to perform business case and financial analysis
• Interest in analyzing new market opportunities and adjacencies from strategic and financial perspectives
Position Success Criteria:
• Ability to navigate highly ambiguous strategic questions and drive actionable insights by using a structured and data driven approach
• Ability to quickly assess acquisitions and other potential investments to communicate the key strategic value elements, areas of synergy, potential risks, and value detractors
• Strong time management skills; ability to prioritize and balance work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Demonstrated experience leading cross-functional teams through influence and thought leadership
• Strong and adaptable professional presence; comfortable communicating and working with senior executives in contexts ranging from informal collaboration to formal reviews / presentations
• Advanced Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint skills and experience with a variety of industry research platforms
• Travel as necessary for project work, up to ~25%, depending on project specific activities
The expected annual salary range for this role is $131249.97 - $192499.96 a year. This position is also eligible for a variable incentive program. Please note the salary information shown above is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate skills, experience, and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Eaton considers qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with local laws. To request a disability-related reasonable accommodation to assist you in your job search, application or interview process, please call us at 1-[Register to View] to discuss your specific need. Only accommodation requests will be accepted by this phone number.
We know that good benefit programs are important to employees and their families. Eaton provides various Health and Welfare benefits as well as Retirement benefits, and several programs that provide for paid and unpaid time away from work. Click here (https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/eaton/company/careers/US%20Benefits%20updated%2010.24.22.pdf) for more detail: Eaton Benefits Overview. Please note that specific programs and options available to an employee may depend on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.