Agile Software Development Manager ( R-00049622 )
Are you ready to work on a project that can potentially change the world? Join us at Leidos, where we FIGHT for our employees, one round at a time!
You will enjoy great benefits such as 5 weeks of Paid Time Off, Flexible Schedules, Discounted Stock Purchase Plans, Unlimited Education and Training Support, Paid Parental Leave, Paid Disability Leave, Safe work environments AND a 20k Sign on Bonus for this position upon funding and hire onto the program!
Pending contract award, the Leidos Intelligence Group will have a career opportunity for an experienced Agile Software Development Manager on a new, large, multi-year contract for systems engineering, integration, software development, testing, configuration management and training to develop, modernize and sustain Mission Management, Mission Assessment, Sensor Control and Execution (Mission Execution), and Sensor Cognizance functions within our customer environment.
The Agile Software Development Manager will serve in the role of a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®)Agile Release Train Engineer (RTE) and will serve as the leader for an Agile Release Train (ART) executing on a program implementing Large Solution SAFe. The engineer RTE will work with the Solution Train Engineer (STE) in the Large Solution SAFe structure and will facilitate the ART events and processes that assist the Agile teams in delivering value. The selected candidate will focus on ensuring the ART’s Feature commitments are met. This includes working with the Agile teams to determine if teams they will complete the Features,; understand why something might not complete; and help mitigate risks/issues preventing features from completing. The RTE will facilitate horizontal and vertical communication across the Agile teams and identify any impediments that may hinder team progress while working mitigation plans, as needed. The selected candidate will be responsible for sensing, determining, and leading discussions when issues need to be analyzed or triaged. Strong attention to detail and focus on task completion is critical.
- Coach and train project/program leaders, Agile teams, Scrum Masters, Product Owners and stakeholders in the Leidos Scaled Agile Responsiveness (SPAR) framework informed by SAFe® 5 used to execute the design, development and sustainment of the ART efforts.
- Manage schedule execution and plan the software/architecture releases for the ART in coordination with the Solution Train.
- Work with the Solution Train Engineer (STE) to establish, implement, improve and maintain SPAR processes and artifacts at the ART level.
- Facilitate the ART Program Increment (PI) Planning, including logistics and technical preparation.
- Facilitate periodic synchronization meetings for the ART to include Scrum of Scrums, and other less formal forums in support of development, testing, and deployment efforts
- Summarize Team PI Objectives into ART PI Objectives and publish them for visibility and transparency
- Assist tracking the execution of features and capabilities through Metrics across program’s agile and DevOps teams
- Brief customer on development progress throughout PI cycle and on the status of testing, deployment, and release readiness
- Work closely with the STE and operations team to coordinate release trains, assess the impact to other DevOps processes, and schedule release timelines for those fixes
- Acquire in-depth understanding of the large complex software system, and assess risk and understand varied customer needs
- Assessing skillset needs and collaborating with leadership to staff program openings
- Promote teamwork to achieve PI goals
- Lead the Agile teams towards agile maturity
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment, across diverse systems and groups
- Assist with economic decision-making by facilitating feature and capability estimation by teams and the roll-up to Epics, where necessary coach leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices and mindsets
- Escalate and track impediments
- Manage resources and provide input on program resource allocation to address critical bottlenecks
- Work with the contractor Program Management Office (PMO) on program execution
- Drive relentless improvement via Inspect and Adapt workshops; assess the agility level of the ART and help them improve
- Foster Communities of Practice and the use of engineering and Built-In Quality practices
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least eight (8) years of relevant work experience
- At least 5 years of experience supervising or leading teams or projects
- Previous Release, Project, or Program Management experience
- Experience working with Agile software development teams and managing project deadlines (ideally in a Scrum Master, Product Owner, or Development Lead role)
- Experience with briefing leadership and/or customers of key status of project progression
- Experience communicating with and briefing status to external stakeholders, including customer/government representatives
- Experience affecting change in organizations working towards agile adoption
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM), SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) or similar agile project management certification (PMI-ACP)
- Experience using agile project management tools (e.g. Jira, VersionOne, Rally, IBM RTC)
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary development teams
- Familiar with the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Must have the ability to understand technical concepts and communicate them effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, and time management skills are a must
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in a technical field such as System Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Engineering Management, or related discipline
- Experience working with large software systems including hardware integration and test
- Experience using SAFe as the agile development methodology including experience participating in Program Increment Planning sessions
- Scaled Agile certification such as SAFe Agilist (SA) or SAFe Release Train Engineer (RTE)
- Experience in the software development lifecycle - as the developer, tester, analyst, product manager, project/program manager, etc.
- Experience with applying test automation, test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment to achieve built-in quality by the team