Manager Software Development (2109138)
Manager Software Development - ( 2109138 )
The Manager of Software Engineering is responsible for managing agile software development teams (both onshore and offshore) as well as being an organizational and strategic leader. The software development teamsare responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of features as part of building our next-generation platform. TheManager of Software Engineering both guides the team towards best technical and business outcomes as well as builds an effective organization through coaching, mentorship, technical and strategic leadership.
Behaviors we are seeking in the Manager of Software Engineering:
- You are a leader. People listen to you because what you have to say makes sense and is actionable.
- You are both strategic and tactical. You think of the bigger picture and drive your teams and the overall organization in the right direction and roll up your sleeves to support the team.
- You listen. You gather data and hear many perspectives to get “ground truth”.
- You have a bias towards action. You solve problems no matter where they are, and you work with others to rally them towards a solution. The words “not my job” are not in your vocabulary.
- You are candid yet compassionate. You don’t shy away from difficult conversations.
- You are proactive. You see problems as or before they arise, and you take action to work with the team to correct them.
- You are a thought leader. You see beyond the day to day and recommend better ways to do things in the future. You constructively propose better solutions to things that we are currently doing or work with others to hone their good ideas into great ones. “Because that’s how we’ve always done it” is not a good reason to keep doing something, in your eyes.
- You are collaborative by default. You draw in diverse perspectives, both technical and non-technical, and you can convey technical things in language your business partners can understand.
- You care about people and our mission. People are your #1 priority, both employees and customers.
- Manages, mentors, coaches, motivates and delegates tasks to a team of talented software engineers and principal engineers.
- Technical skills to drive best practices, code review, and design review as needed to ensure consistency of design is both “built for purpose” for onshore and offshore teams
- Drives improvement of engineering practices both for their teams and for engineering holistically, through direct contribution and coaching / support of teams.
- Responsible for the qualityof all their team’s deliverables.
- Acts as a thought leader and organizational driver for technical needs as part of the planning process; ensures all the correct technical team members are involved in the requirements discovery phase, asks questions and drives clarity of scope and requirements, and partners closely with business and Product team to ensure we are achieving best outcomes for future work.
- Monitors team performance, provides timely and critical feedback on a regular cadence, establishes plans for improvement when necessary, and provides quarterly performance checkpoints with each direct report (at a minimum).
- Ability to quickly analyze situations and determine teams to delegate responsibility as well as appropriate levels of follow-up and accountability.
- Works together with other Managers and other leaders across technology and other departments to understand and address gaps or improvement opportunities in their organization.
- You will be expected to occasionally drive department-wide initiatives, as needed
- Responsible for overseeing recruiting, staffing, and hiring, in your department, and support other departments for talent needs.
- Fosters a culture of continuous improvement in all areas of technology and instills the principles of this culture in the team.
- Takes on ownership and drives initiatives across departments and teams that may be larger than engineering specific topics, as needed.
- Supports the transition to a DevOps culture through direct and indirect involvement.
- Provides detailed and timely status updates to upper management as needed.
- Oversees or supports team during production outages as necessary.
- Maintains technical knowledge and understanding of the latest development methodologies and best practices by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The individual in this position will be managing multiple teams of engineers, both onshore and offshore, and working cross-functionally with a variety of roles in a virtual environment (all employees have a work-from-home option). In order to do this job effectively, the Manager of Engineering must be able to:
- Ability to effectively lead a large software development team in a very detailed oriented, fast paced environment
- Ability to “connect the dots” when it comes to large system design and understand, communicate, and solve for enterprise scale technical integration concerns
- Experience developing and/or leading teams developing web-based applications.
- 4-5years' experience to .NET framework development
- 4-5years' experience in analyzing business requirements, recommending technical solutions, and writing technical specifications and/or requirements
- 4-5years' experience managing software developers
- Experience with recruiting and hiring
- Demonstrated experience to adapt to changing priorities
- Demonstrated experience managing details as well as consolidate large abstract concepts into clear actionable plans
- Demonstrated experience in career growth and performance management of employees and teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High-speed Internet access at home and a personal computer
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $130-160K. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/#LI-POST
Primary Location : United States
Job : Technology
Organization : North America Connections
Employee Status : Regular Employee
Job Type : Standard
Job Level : Manager
Shift : Day Job
Travel : No
Job Posting : Aug 17, 2021
Job Unposting : Ongoing
Schedule: : Full-time Regular
Req ID: 2109138