Corporate Strategy Manager - Strategy Development ( 585999-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
Are you passionate about building the networks that move the world forward? At Verizon, you’ll not only be helping to deliver America’s fastest and most reliable network, but you’ll also help lead the way in new technologies – like 5G, Intelligent Edge Networking, Internet of Things, Fixed Wireless Access and much, much more. This position will be responsible for supporting the Corporate Strategy group at Verizon – specifically portfolio strategy within our strategy development team.
The Verizon Corporate Strategy group works with business unit leaders, key stakeholders and external advisors to drive long-term growth and shareholder value. The Strategy Development team is tasked with facilitating better strategy development across Verizon, driving portfolio evolution, investment ROI and closing the gap to our North Star revenue goal. The group analyzes and generates insights to help inform: Strategic assessments for optimizing operational and financial performance, Strategic and financial risk against our horizons of growth, New business and growth opportunities (both organic and inorganic), Corporate-level resource allocation, Emerging business models (e.g. 5G). The group also analyzes adjacent industries and companies for potential investments. This group’s work feeds directly into key executive and board decisions—and has a high degree of regular visibility into senior executive leaders, including a direct line of communication to the Chief Strategy Officer.
You will be a key member of the Strategy Development team within Verizon’s Corporate Strategy group. You will be a catalyst for driving internal alignment of corporate-wide strategies. This position will help shape the future direction of Verizon by assisting with the evaluation of risk against our 5-year business plan, development of the situation analysis – an “outside-in” look at relevant external factors impacting Verizon, and the creation of strategic investment recommendations based on an understanding of strategic goals and initiatives, internal capabilities and external benchmarks.
- Synthesize and analyze quantitative & qualitative research and data sets into insights and/or hypotheses that support initiatives, implications and/or recommendations.
- Drive strategic work-streams from end-to-end, including hypothesis creation, quantitative and qualitative analysis, program management, stakeholdering, and deliverable completion.
- Collaborate with the business units to translate strategies into targeted actions and programs that result in growth.
- Facilitate discussions between finance teams, new business development and network teams and other parts of Verizon by conducting cross-functional meetings leading to higher-level executive presentations.
- Know when and how to appropriately engage leadership to help remove hurdles, get buy-in and drive influence to help accelerate forward progress.
- Identify, track, and communicate industry and competitors trends and disruptions across relevant markets and assess the impact to Verizon in the short and long term.
- Identify and assess organic and inorganic growth opportunities for Verizon.
- Be a subject matter expert on the Verizon strategy process and how it should be used.
- Own the automation and improvement of the corporate balanced scorecard.
- Assist in the preparation of materials for senior management and board presentations.
- Assist in special projects as assigned.
What we’re looking for...
You will be a catalyst for change and thus must be comfortable with ambiguity, leading across multiple teams and working with all levels of the organization to get results. You enjoy quantitative data analysis and know how to translate your analysis into “So whats?” You ask thought-provoking questions based on your understanding of the business, market and macro-environment. You are a self-starter, creative and innovative thinker with strong attention to detail, and an ability to connect the dots and influence others. Talking to people comes very naturally to you and you have an ability to communicate and present complex information (including quantitative and/or financial) succinctly, and in a way that people understand – whether verbal or written. You have a passion for arriving at the answer through independent research, financial analysis, competitive benchmarking and data manipulation; always fact-based in forming hypotheses.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance and/or Engineering.
- MBA or equivalent degree from a Top Tier program.
- Management consulting, investment banking, or internal strategy experience.
- Demonstrated experience solving complex, ambiguous, and analytically challenging problems.
- Experience manipulating and deriving insights from big data sets using visualization tools such as Excel, Power BI, Tableau, Alteryx and/or QlikView.
- An ability to synthesize information, frame issues strategically, and present findings & insights.
- An understanding of new technologies that disrupt existing industries and create new ones.
- Prior experience in the technology and/or telecom sector.
- In-depth understanding of telecom and media landscape, the players, key trends, etc.
- Strong research, quantitative analysis and financial/statistical modelling skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).