Principal, New Product Development and Innovation (100016972)
New Product Development (NPD) is responsible for sourcing and launching new businesses across the healthcare industry. Serving as a major growth engine for Optum, NPD works closely with Optum leadership and collaborates with existing business unit leaders and innovation teams to generate growth from “white space” opportunities, with a special emphasis on ideas that span industry sub-sectors.
NPD teams enjoy unparalleled access to the executives at the leading healthcare organizations in the United States and to major investors and prominent leaders in the industry. Entrepreneurial-minded candidates will find a challenging environment, a supportive organization and an opportunity to develop a broad skill-set while affecting meaningful change in one of the most critical industries in today’s economy.
Principals independently lead and manage all or major components of new product initiatives, including research to define offerings, analysis to justify investment and pro formas to articulate the business case. Principals also act as key members of the new product launch team, serving in commercial and operational roles as the full team is assembled.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Identify, scope and size new venture opportunities
- Analyze competitors and draft positioning collateral
- Conduct rigorous market testing by interviewing key industry executives
- Develop pro-formas and financial models
- Pitch new ventures or terrain explorations to senior leaders
- Evaluate and diligence investments and acquisitions
- Collaborate with development and product management teams on internal builds
- Support initial hiring, sales, and implementation activities on new ventures
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
keywords: healthcare strategy, strategy consultant, new product innovation, product strategy, product consultant
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 8+ years consulting, strategy, product or business development experience
- Experience in developing growth strategies for organization(s), particularly around new business lines
- Experience working in a team environment, as well as independently and autonomously
- Experience managing and coaching more junior team members
- Experience conducting root-cause analysis
- Experience working with clients in a consultative role -- comfort engaging senior level people in back-and-forth conversation, ability to be convincing when necessary, and ability to develop strong relationships through each interaction
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- Full Covid-19 vaccination is an essentail requirement of this role. UnitedhealthGroup will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain neccesary proff of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance.
- MBA or other advanced degree
- Healthcare experience
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.