Senior Business Development Specialist ( R-00055700 )
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Leidos is seeking a Senior Business Development Specialist at NETL in Pittsburgh, PA.
This work supports Tech Transfer and Research Partnerships under the Research Innovation Center (RIC) at the National Energy Technology Lab (NETL). NETL is part of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratory system and supports the mission to advance the energy security of the United States. NETL implements a broad spectrum of energy and environmental R&D programs that will return benefits for generations to come.
Business development for NETL refers to the process of identifying funding organizations and associated leads/contacts, strategic markets, research collaboration opportunities, and partner organizations. At NETL, researchers work every day to develop technology solutions to difficult problems. NETL works with industry, start-ups, universities, and the public sector to help move federally funded technologies to commercialization.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Provide coordination between Research Partnerships managers and research staff in the RIC directorates on current and forthcoming business opportunities and potential for integration of potential products to optimize new business capture
- Continue refinement of the proposed NETL Business Development (BD) Practice under development by LRST
- Pilot areas of the Practice with RIC Research Partnerships and identified capture teams
- Integrate the Practice with the business capture tool (BCT) or related CRM tool, i.e., determine what is to be documented where and when
- Launch the BD Practice throughout RIC; be available to coach users through its use
- Identify RIC “Account Managers” and LRST support team member(s) for target organizations
- Create, segment, and maintain a list of lab Partnerships; identify potential partners in support of the Associate Director responsible for Research Partnerships
- Orchestrate the account team and drive progress, e.g., help Account Manager coordinate opportunities and assign actions
- Identify new business accounts (funding organizations), leads, contacts
- Identify new externally funded opportunities (proposals, collaborative projects)
- Assess competitive markets to identify niche opportunities; offer differentiating integrated solutions
- Conduct targeted outreach to researchers to navigate processes and opportunities; hold office hours
- Help direct work of junior members on the team
- Bachelor’s degree in business, social sciences, STEM, or related field and 10 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree in business, social sciences, STEM, or related field and 8 years of experience.
- Must have direct experience working across organizational centers with the ability to understand fundamental and applied scientific and technical research and apply it to real world applications.
- Must have experience with proposal development, partnership agreements/contracts, and CRM tools
- Proficient in Microsoft SharePoint, Teams, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- This position will require extensive interface with all levels of the federal client and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization and documentation skills; attention to detail is a must; and an ability to troubleshoot, resolve administrative problems, and quickly respond to inquiries.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
Key Programs and/or Capabilities:
Command & Control
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.