Business Support Specialist (100394)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Business Support Specialist provides functional, administrative, analytical and/or technical support to a department or functional area. The percentage of time spent performing the key accountabilities of the job may vary based on the manager, departmental or functional unit needs.Support billing, collection, and account accuracy processes. Tasks will focus is on revenue protection and recovery. Examples include but are not limited to identifying consumers of water/wastewater services and activating customer accounts, managing the manual components of various collection processes, and managing manual components for theft of service & non-compliance. This will require contacting customers by phone and mail, managing a large volume of customers (or services locations) in need of research, analyzing data, and using internet research.
- Uses and maintains business systems and other reporting tools to enter, compile, calculate, track, reconcile, report and clean-up data pertaining to various processes which may include, but are not limited to, departmental operations, time and labor, capital programs, field projects, work orders, regulatory compliance and employee records.
- Analyzes and evaluates data and/or prepare variances related to specific department work processes, which may include but are not limited to: business processes, regulatory requirements, budgets, capital expenditures, work orders, departmental and/or organizational performance, etc.
- Performs activities to monitor and maintain inventory control, evaluates inventory levels and reorders as necessary. May perform receiving, stocking, distributing, and packing in addition to inventory control.
- Maintains inventory records and prepares reports. May work with vendors to resolve routine supply and distribution discrepancies.
- Provides general administrative support for day-to-day managerial and departmental needs and special projects which may include but are not limited to: composing routine correspondence, obtaining permits, preparing and distributing meeting minutes, handling travel arrangements, p-card/ purchasing, document preparation, special events, etc.
- Serves as a first level resource for various departmental or functional issues which may be related to customer service, operational excellence,
- Regulatory compliance, etc. Answers routine questions and assists in recognizing and troubleshooting larger problems.
- Work collaboratively with other functions to optimize business performance and customer satisfaction.
- Reinforce leadership activities and decisions. Contribute to effective communication and culture by listening and providing feedback,
- supporting an open and honest work environment and cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to employees.
- Assist with training and development, knowledge transfer, instilling
- safe work practices, regulatory and environmental compliance activities.
- Using all systems and tools available, the position is required to frequently make decisions and take actions that require non-standard solutions. Success will be determined based on the system updates. Efforts, results, and resolutions must be accurately and thoroughly documented on individual customer accounts in the American Water Customer Information System. Work collaboratively with other functions to optimize business performance and customer satisfaction.
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated organization ability and administrative skills. Effective communication skills, both verbal and written. Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize tasks. Effective problem solving and analytical ability.
- Knowledge of relevant departmental processes, safety practices and applicable regulations.
- Thorough understanding of standard business practices and principles, including basic accounting and budgeting.
- Strong knowledge of computers, in-depth knowledge of Microsoft office suite applications and other pertinent software.
- Understanding of collective bargaining agreements (if applicable)
- High school diploma or equivalency required.
- Associates level degree in related field preferred.
- Minimum 2 years relevant functional work experience Relevant state license(s) may be required or preferred Driver’s license required
- Local and occasional regional travel may be needed
- Standard office environment. Some outdoor work may be required
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.