Specialist Software Development (970)
The Specialist Software Developer is responsible for analysis, design, implementation, and unit testing to produce high-quality code for a project team responsible for supporting the Pearson Access product platform. They will use industry best practices while leading a team of high-performing professionals. They are also responsible for maintaining and supporting mission-critical applications as necessary. Specialist Software Developers are expected to mentor associate software developers and continually contribute to process improvement activities.
The Specialist Software Developer will:
- Implement & Perform - Implement designs following Pearson coding standards and industry best practices; maintain and support mission-critical applications as necessary
- Analyze & Design - Ensure business and requirements artifacts are created that effectively model the customer's requirements. Use tooling and best practices to create design models from requirements
- Review - Participate in and lead requirements, design and code reviews
- Test & Deployment - Work closely with other teams (e.g. DevOps, Security, Scoring, and Reporting) to release high quality software. Create testable requirements and write and execute unit tests
- Quality/process improvement - Lead group improvement activities and initiatives to improve the process and product quality in pursuit of excellence
- Reporting - Complete project documentation as required, including logging status, risk, progress, and effort on assigned work
- People development – Mentor and train new team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline
- Proficiencies with some of the following:
- Core Java and J2EE principles, syntax, and best practices
- Core Spring
- Web Services API development (SOAP and/or REST)
- SQL, RDBMS
- Using code versioning tools such as Git
Current technology stack: Angular, Java, JPA, Hibernate, Spring, Web Services (REST), Amazon Services (Lambda, SQS, API Gateway, S3, Cognito, ElasticSearch, Aurora)
- Experience leading teams in an agile environment
- Quickly learn new processes and tools, business domains and technical applications
- Able to think technically and analytically
- Ability to understand the philosophy of architecture
- Must assimilate information, distill knowledge, apply experience and provide solution alternatives and recommendations
- Must have strong time management skills - including the ability to work well under pressure, plan, set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timelines
- Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Windows, Unix and/or OS X system programming
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $80-100k. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here: http://www.pearson.com/careers/diversity-and-inclusion.html
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Organization: Assessment & Qualifications
Req ID: 970