Associate Director/Director Drug Development Project Manager (Hematology/Oncology)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Project Manager partners with the Development Program Lead (DPL) to lead the Development Program Team (DPT) to successfully shape and execute the project and drug development strategies, in early development. The Project Manager is accountable for the cross-functional planning and execution of one or more programs including definition of the operational strategy, management of timelines, cost, quality, and risk assessment and mitigation. The Project Manager provides an independent voice to shape the overall project strategy and drive optimal decisions for the broader portfolio value.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- The Project Manager (PM) is accountable for one or more DPTs of moderate complexity and is highly autonomous supporting the Hematology/Oncology portfolio as part of their day to day work. The Project Manager may also serve as part of a PM team supporting a large, highly complex DPT with oversight of a Senior PM.
- Partners with the Development Program Lead (DPL) to lead a cross-functional matrix team of experts in advancing programs/assets within the remit of their Development Project Team (DPT).
- Accountable for creating and maintaining a cross-function development plan, timeline and budget for each program and ensuring progress vs. plan.
- Facilitates effective, science-based business decisions including development of scenarios (base-case, buy-ups, buy-downs) as needed, highlighting interdependencies and downstream impacts (including but not limited to timelines and budget) of strategic decisions
- Ensures all decisions are assessed as to their risks and impacts. Accountable for communication to team and stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner.
- Proactively identifies risks and ensures mitigation plans are implemented
- With the DPL, works to foster a high performing team and monitor the health and operating efficiency of the team as a unit. Leads creation of team norms and operating principles with a focus on cross-functional input and accountability, and robust analysis of vetted options
- Acts as an integrator within the Development Program Team (DPT) and across the enterprise to ensure alignment and connect best practices
- Develops and coordinates resource and budget planning across functions to assure adequate resources are applied to the project and any changes are highlighted appropriately
- Advises on governance expectations and prepares for key decision point discussions with focus on cross-functional input and rigorous debate
- For projects that are being jointly developed, works closely with a key strategic alliance partner
- Coaches project team members and others to drive excellence and accountability, and develop talent pipeline for DPT membership
- Change Agent for continuous improvement and transformational initiatives within R&ED PM and RDSP
- Advanced degree in Life Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Physical sciences or other relevant discipline., MS/Ph.D. preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical industry, preferably in the early development space, including 5 years (associate director) or 7 years (Director) in project/portfolio management or leadership of cross-functional matrix teams
- Demonstrated competency in early phase drug development expertise with solid understanding of disease area and drug development pathway with the ability to contribute to strategic discussions
- Leadership skills including situational leadership, ability to lead a team of experts and influence without authority
- Demonstrated ability to lead matrix teams, knows how to work at the strategic level with the DPL and when to delve deeper to resolve issues and challenges.
- Experience with commonly used project management tools including but not limited to Microsoft project.
- Strong communicator able to integrate and succinctly summarize the various parts of a project and effectively tailor messages to audience incl. senior leaders.
- Guides DPT in preparation of high-quality documents and presentations for review at governance committees
- Ensures appropriate DPT membership during the progression of the program.
- Ability to resolve complex problems and manage difficult stakeholder situations
- Ability to lead the development of critical path analyses and scenario planning
- Excellent Project Management Skills – drives execution while balancing speed, quality, and cost.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.