Project Development Project Manager (45045)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
This position will be located in Maryland or New Jersey.
This is a mid-level Project Manager III/IV position within the newly created Distribution Project Development position located in the Corporate Transmission Project Development group, supporting the Distribution side of the business. While this position has the same overall responsibilities as all levels for managing, monitoring and controlling projects to ensure that they safely achieve the project deliverables within the approved scope, cost and schedule, the level IV position will be assigned projects of increasing complexity. At this level the employee is expected to manage any project in the portfolio with guidance as needed from the Supervisor. Projects assigned will progress in complexity and variety to facilitate acquiring a breadth of knowledge and experience to become a subject matter expert and progress to next level. The Project Development Project Manager role is tailored to lead the project during the project development phase. This phase occurs during the initial stages of scoping engineering and estimating a project. The goal of the position is to refine projects to ensure all assumptions and missing information is provided to create an accurate baseline forecast that minimizes unknowns / risks by developing detailed scopes, estimates, schedules, and execution plans while interacting with multiple internal/external teams. The detailed scopes, estimates, schedules, and execution plans that are developed during the project development phase will be assembled and transitioned to the Project Management organization for execution of the project.
- Leading the refinement of project scope documents.
- Coordination of multiple internal/external support teams to ensure project assumptions are vetted and resolved.
- Hosting site walk downs and multiple project development discussions. Determining and resolving any project constructability concerns.
- Reviewing project documents for clarity and completeness -- examples include scope documents, project plans, engineering cost estimates and drawings.
- Developing project and forecast budgets for adequacy and completeness. Ensuring initial budget forecasts are created and incorporating any changes found during project development.
- Ensuring compliance with Project Lifecycle to maintain complete documentation of changes in scope, schedule, cost, and develop reports that identify risks with a mitigation strategy.
- Obtaining concurrence (or buy-in) from affected Project Team members or departments to support the proposed schedule and resource requirements.
- Supporting the development of detailed project estimates including contingency.
- Developing, with input of project team, the strategic and tactical execution plan for the project.
- Coordinating outage availability with operations and submit outage requests as needed per PJM / Internal timelines.
- Identifying the equipment purchase/delivery plans to ensure efficient project execution.
- Forecasting contractor / internal resource levels needed to support construction execution.
- Ensuring adequacy of Project Team membership and participation. Responsible for overseeing the activities of consultants and assigned contractors.
- Communicating project goals, priorities and decisions to the Region/Corporate Leadership Team.
- Working with Project Controls to develop the project baseline schedule.
- Identifying and notify the Project Team of additional resources or requirements necessary to fully develop project scope and baseline schedule.
- Developing and maintaining PLMP documents for handoff to Project Management organization.
- Participating or leading in lessons learned as part of project review process.
- Coordinating with Portfolio Management Team to develop the distribution capital portfolio.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Business, Engineering, Finance, Construction Management or related field is required. Minimum of 3 years' related experience. In lieu of degree, consideration will be given to applicants having 7 years related experience or 5 years distribution experience.
- Related experience includes project organization, engineering, finance, construction, project management or project controls
- Strong project management skills are required with a demonstrated ability to develop, manage and control multiple tasks.
- Experience with project management tools such as Primavera, MS Project, etc. with related Scheduling /Resource Planning expertise is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical ability are required.
- Successful candidate must be a team player and possess a willingness to work in a team environment.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team