Principal Engineer - Software Development ( 600174-1A )
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
The Technology & Product Development (TPD) team ideates, innovates, designs, and delivers products and platforms that enable our customers to work better, smarter, and faster. Our customers are first and foremost on our minds as we work to deliver on our development commitments. We walk in step with our partners across the business and the industry to do our part to make Verizon the most trusted brand.
As a Principal Engineer in the TPD group, you will drive the streaming systems architecture and development for a suite of Verizon’s consumer products. You will play an integral role in designing, implementing, and enhancing the current and future consumer products. This role will collaborate with other core services teams to build the Verizon cloud hosting several consumer products.
You will develop and maintain applications for large scale data processing with low latency that supports Verizon’s Consumer products.
- Own the data ingestion and distributed data processing layer.
- Build and maintain scalable data processing pipelines to process different data such as Location, etc. in near real time.
- Work on AWS environment to develop and deploy containerized applications.
- Develop ETL pipelines to extract data from different data sources and provide to different stakeholders in an efficient manner.
- Maintain AWS EMR cluster and perform activities such as upgrades as necessary.
- Write clean, fast, and efficient code to implement new features.
- Develop and implement data migration strategies to migrate data from and to different data sources.
- Design and implement data archival and data retention strategies.
- Build distributed data processing systems that are fault tolerant, and incorporate best practices to monitor the applications.
- Design and review data models for different features.
- Responsible for maintaining the Kafka cluster for messaging.
Where you'll be working:
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience
- Willingness to travel.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Master’s degree.
- Eight or more years of software development experience.
- Three or more years of data engineering experience building pipelines for real-time data streams.
- Experience with designing and developing large scale distributed data processing systems.
- Experience with AWS, Spark, Hadoop, Hive, Cassandra, Elastic Search, Relational Databases.
- Experience with workflow scheduling frameworks such as Apache Airflow.
- Proficient in at least one programming language such as Scala, Java, Python.
- Strong SQL skills.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.