Principal Scientist, Translational Bioinformatics, Late Development Oncology (R1560303-en-us)
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Principal Scientist, Translational Bioinformatics, Late Development Oncology
We are seeking a talented and motivated scientist to join our Late Development Oncology team within the Translational Bioinformatics group at Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMS). In this role, your will apply cutting-edge bioinformatics, statistics, and data-mining methods to assist statistical interpretation and hypothesis generation; working with clinical and large-scale omics data sets from BMS’s industrial-leading late-stage oncology clinical studies; influencing development strategies and maximizing values of BMS late-stage oncology pipeline. This group also provides an exciting opportunity to collaborate with cross-functional teams across the drug development pipeline, make major contributions to scientific knowledge of cancer disease biology, and to directly impact treatment of cancer patients.
- Analyze clinical characteristics and biomarker data (e.g., large-scale omics datasets including RNASeq, Exome and Whole Genome Sequencing, single cell sequencing) from clinical trials and real-world database and derive clinically meaningful interpretations.
- Evaluate and apply integrative analysis and cutting-edge machine learning (ML) methods to support disease biology hypothesis testing, biomarker discovery, and propose patient risk stratification models, etc.
- Engage key stakeholders (late-stage clinical development team, translational medicine biomarker team, and biostatisticians, etc.), to define and execute biomarker data analysis plan for late-stage oncology clinical studies.
- Identify potential biomarkers for patient enrichment strategies and gain mechanistic insights of responses and resistances to immune checkpoints inhibitors (ICI) treatment to inform early development programs.
- Summarize and communicate analysis results effectively to BMS decision-making bodies; help driving conclusions to regulatory agencies and the broad scientific communities.
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics, or related field.
- 5+ years of industry experiences or equivalent. Candidates with different experiences will also be considered at different levels.
- Solid knowledge in statistical methodologies and machine learning methods, such as predictive modeling, mixed-effect models, multivariate analysis, etc.
- Broad experience with data generated by one or more high-throughput molecular assays: next-generation sequencing, flow cytometry, mass spectrometry proteomics, etc.
- Strong experience in the use of a high-level programming language, such as R or Python, for complex data analysis and reproducible research practices.
- Experiences working with clinical study data and understanding the clinical development process is a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to handle several concurrent, fast-paced projects while conforming with rigorous requirements of clinical studies.
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills, and rigorous and creative thinking.
- Excellent communication, data presentation, and visualization skills.
- Capable of establishing strong working relationships across the organization.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.