Early Careers Business Development Associate - Advisory Board Research - Telecommute or Washington, D.C.
Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
This role is for Optum/United Health Groups’ Research arm, Advisory Board.
Advisory Board is a best practice research firm that was acquired by Optum in 2017. For over 40 years, Advisory Board research has been the health care industry’s guiding light, bringing our provider and service provider members closer to best practice performance. We help leaders and future leaders in the health care industry work smarter and faster by providing provocative insights, actionable strategies, and practical tools to support execution. Learn more about Advisory Board.
We’re seeking a difference-maker. A natural communicator. Someone who is goal-oriented, organized, and a solid critical thinker.
If you’re excited by the prospect of crafting the perfect message that will connect c-suite level executives with the resources and insights they need to improve the health and well-being of the communities they serve, then we’d love to talk to you.
The Business Development Associate is at the forefront of our research sales business, playing an integral role in our goal of “powering modern healthcare.” Associates work closely with our senior Sales and Renewals staff to manage all new business pursuits within their suite of products and territory. The Associates are responsible for developing and executing strategy to source pursuits with leading health systems, scheduling sales meetings between c-suite level executives and our senior sales staff and optimizing team interactions to impact new business generation.
Associates can expect to develop expertise in commercial skills and the health care industry.
Teamwork is central to our success, and as a result, Associates are positioned to develop working relationships with colleagues across other divisions within Advisory Board, including Product Delivery, Marketing, Operations, and Research. This allows Associates to grow healthcare knowledge and professional skillsets while getting exposure to potential future career opportunities. Associates can also participate in the Early Careers Initiative (ECI), a program that helps early careerists SPARK growth in a set of well-rounded transferable skills, BUILD connections and relationships across the business, and ACCELERATE development and business impact through hands-on, meaningful work.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Reach out via phone, email, LinkedIn, etc. to schedule in-person and phone interactions between health care executives and our senior sales executives
- Drive toward monthly metric-based key performance indicators (KPIs), such as number of sales meetings, pipeline generation, and Salesforce data integrity
- Customize and refine outreach scripting by updating content, urgency, script length, outreach method, etc. with the aim of improving our outreach to sales meeting conversion rate
- Strategically [build campaigns to] determine which individuals and organizations we should reach out to using a combination of past interactions, marketing intel, organizational relationships, national news, upcoming events, new best practices, etc.
- Own calendaring, logistics and administrative responsibilities for client interactions and internal cross-departmental meetings
- Prepare materials for client interactions - such as agendas, decks, proposals, etc.
- Maintain Salesforce - our customer relationship management (CRM) tool - to track key performance metrics and client interactions
- Review inbound interest to determine the best follow up approach
- Track strategy effectiveness and make adjustment recommendations
- Produce reports analyzing previous client interaction and utilization of products and services
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or currently pursuing a degree from an accredited college/university
- Coursework to obtain degree must be completed prior to start of employment
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- 3+ months experience with sales, fundraising, and/or client engagement
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship, now or in the future, for employment-based work authorization (F-1 students with practical training and candidates requiring H-1Bs, TNs, etc. will not be considered) F-1 visa holders with Optional Practical Training (OPT) who will require H-1B status, TNs, or current H-1B visa holders will not be considered. H1-B and green card sponsorship is not available for this position
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Leadership experience
- Solid critical thinking skills - the ability to quickly understand complex business issues and make strategic decisions
- Goal-orientation - shows initiative, individual accomplishment, and a record of exceeding expectations
- Exceptional project management and prioritization skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The hourly range for Colorado residents is $21.68 to $38.56. The hourly range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $23.94 to $42.40. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.