Senior Scientist –Biologics Process Research & Development
Our Research Scientists are our Inventors. Using innovative thinking,
state-of-the-art facilities, and robust scientific methodology, we partner to discover the next medical breakthrough. Biologics Process Research & Development (BPR&D) within our Research & Development Division is accountable for developing manufacturing processes and associated technologies for our company's biologics pipeline. BPR&D includes three core technical functional areas: Process Cell Sciences (PCS), Upstream Process Development (UPD) and Downstream Process Development & Engineering (DPDE).
Subject matter expertise within BRP&D spans one or more of: cell line development, bioreactor process development and optimization, media formulation, chromatographic and filtration separation development as well as computational modeling and data science. We work closely with colleagues in Discovery, Pre-clinical, Early Development, Analytical, Formulation, and Commercial Manufacturing organizations with the goal to rapidly develop world-class processes to enable toxicology studies, clinical studies, and ultimately commercial supplies.
Our work also extends beyond the development of manufacturing processes. We drive technology development through innovation and advancing the
state-of-the-art in process development. Examples of these include investments in continuous biomanufacturing, green and sustainable processing as well as development of proprietary platform technologies. We actively publish our work to influence the industry and the scientific field. As an organization, we are dedicated to providing a diverse and all-encompassing environment for all.
This job posting covers opportunities for all the above three functional areas. We are actively looking for highly motivated people with a passion for innovation and interest in contributing to one or more of the three core technical functional areas mentioned above.
In this role as a Senior Scientist, your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Develop innovative and disruptive technologies for next-generation biologic manufacturing processes
- Apply rigorous scientific principles and data analyses to solve challenging problems related to developing robust, cost-effective processes
- Experimental Design and Problem-Solving
- Develop and characterize robust clinical processes capable of delivering multi-kilogram quantities of life-changing medicines
- Design and conduct experiments
- Conduct lab and/or pilot-scale studies to support scale-up and transfer of processes to manufacturing
Collaboration and effective communication:
- Work with a collaborative, cross-functional team of talented scientists and engineers to advance the biologics pipeline from early- to late-stage development
- Partner with groups in both research and manufacturing divisions
- Represent your functional area in cross-functional teams
Coaching and Mentoring
- Train and mentor junior scientists in experimental design, execution, and data interpretation
Safety and Compliance
- Contribute to a safe and compliant laboratory work environment
B.S. with 4 years, or M.S. with 3 years or PhD with 0+ years of relevant experience (or expected PhD graduation within 6 months from date of application) in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology, or related fields.
Required skillsets include relevant experience in one of the three functional areas as described below.
- A proven ability to design and execute hands-on lab and/or in silico experiments
- Proficiency with statistical design and analysis tools
- Excellent social skills, ability to work in matrixed teams and collaborate with diverse partners cross-functionally
- A demonstrated ability to think critically with excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Skilled in recombinant protein expression systems and cell line development
- Knowledge & hands-on training in molecular biology, cell culture, and aseptic techniques
- Knowledge of recombinant protein expression, metabolic pathways, biochemistry, and cell culture
- Understanding of basic bioreactor principles, mass transfer kinetics
- Sound scientific knowledge of protein properties and purification
- Understanding of unit operations such as chromatography, filtration, crystallization, precipitation, adsorption, mixing etc.
Some examples of preferred experience and skills:
- History of external presentations and/or publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Data science, modeling, machine learning, artificial intelligence
- Evaluating and introducing novel technologies and process analytical tools in process development and manufacturing
- Knowledge of protein biophysical properties, general protein laboratory practices, unit operation scale-up
- Vector construction, Genetic Engineering, and Systems Biology
- Knowledge of cell-line development for protein expression in mammalian systems and suspension cell culture
- High throughput experimentation using automation platforms
- Familiarity with feed and media development for large-scale recombinant protein expression in mammalian systems
- Knowledge of Quality by Design, Process Characterization and Control Strategy development
Keywords: #BPRD, #PRD
Our Support Functions deliver services and make recommendations about ways to enhance our workplace and the culture of our organization. Our Support Functions include HR, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Procurement, Administration, Facilities and Security.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
New hires in office-based roles in the US & Puerto Rico will be required, subject to applicable law, to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or qualify for a medical or religious exemption to this vaccination requirement that can be accommodated without an undue burden to the operation. However, subject to applicable law, employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as employees in health services, customer facing commercial, or research based roles, will be required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Residents of Colorado:
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:6