Principal Engineer-Fraud Risk App Development
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world's leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We're a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you'll be doing...
As the fraud risks grow and new attack vectors are found, it is more critical than ever to reduce the costs in the back-office centers. This employee will be responsible for designing / developing applications that are responsible for fraud detection and prevention.
- Designing and architecting application and microservices development with best practices in mind.
- Developing applications that incorporate analytical workflows (summarization, aggregation).
- Developing applications that incorporate rules engines - either custom or off the shelf - as part of the application design
- Performing data analytics to support the data science on fraud detection and prevention.
- Leading small-to-medium portfolio projects and deliver innovative technical solutions to solve problems and improve business outcomes.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams, project managers, data scientists, data engineers, senior team members and business stakeholders to gather requirements and drive code development / implementation.
- Investigating application and system issues, providing timely resolution and recommending preventive action to leadership / business team.
- Leading medium-to-complex technical projects under minimal supervision of senior staff and management.
- Contributing to defining and implementing software best practices in Agile software development methodology.
What we're looking for...
You'll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Five or more years working experience in Java and Python.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 25% of the time.
- Experience in Message Queue handling (MQ / AQ / SQS).
- Experience in Unix / Linux / Python scripting.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Experience in working with small-to-medium-sized applications.
- Experience in VLDB in multiple environments.
- Experience with Python programming (including packages like SQLAlchemy and Pandas) and applying Python in fraud detection.
- Experience with either Oracle/Postgres Database.
- Experience in SQL and database management including PL/SQL and SQL, Postgres, Oracle, SQL Server, Teradata.
- Experience in data management and data analysis in relational databases.
- Experience in Microservices & Restful/SOAP Web services.
- Experience in SQL (DML / DDL / Stored-procedures).
- Experience in JDBC and connection pooling.
- Experience in working on Spring Boot Application server, Spring and Hibernate frameworks, and Eureka integration.
- Experience in AWS/Cloud technologies is required.
- Experience in product-oriented organization and Agile software development.
- Experience in DevOps (GIT, JIRA, Jenkins, Artifactory, etc.).
- Knowledge of secure software development practices to incorporate security by design.
- Experience in designing, deploying and debugging containerized applications (i.e. Docker, Podman, via Kubernetes or Swarm).
- Master's degree in a quantitative field.
- Foundational quantitative knowledge and skills.
- Knowledge in math, statistics, physical science, engineering.
- Experience in leading medium-scale data intensive projects and delivering end-to-end.
- Experience in coordinating and working with data science and data engineering teams.
If Verizon and this role sounds like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every "even better" qualification listed above.
Where you'll be working
In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days set by your manager.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.