Senior Underwriter, Westchester Property (339147)
A. TITLE: Senior UW
B. KEY OBJECTIVE: Under limited supervision, primary responsibility is to underwrite and manage wholesale property risks.
C. MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties may include but are not limited to:
· Develops and executes on marketing plan for assigned producers and territories
· Negotiates pricing, terms and conditions for excess and surplus commercial property accounts using assigned underwriting authority and company guidelines
· Risk Assessment. Ability to identify risk exposures, special or common hazards, and appropriate controls. Ability to select risk based on exposure and risk analysis. Ability to analyze claims and quantify losses.
· Financial proficiency. Understanding of financial statements and ratios used in risk analysis. Understanding of insurance financial fundamentals; impact of underwriting decisions on company assets. Ability to understand credit risk.
· Actuarial fundamentals. Ability to understand loss trends, loss triangles, and ratemaking. Ability to quantify risk based on experience history and forecasting methods.
· Documents the underwriting files with account review, analysis and conclusions
· Binds coverage
· Marketing and Communications. Ability to sell and negotiate to achieve bottom line profitability for the Company. Ability to make presentations and communicate articulately. Ability to base communications on strategic thinking. Ability to manage producer strategy.
D.. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
§ 3-5 years underwriting experience
§ Experience underwriting Property or Inland Marine insurance
§ Bachelor’s degree
§ Excellent Skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
E. DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
§ Knowledge of insurance industry
§ Understanding of risk management approaches including risk transfer
§ Knowledge of underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures
§ Internet usage and research
§ Detailed understanding of company Financial Statements (Balance
· Sheet, Income Statement, 10-K, etc.)
§ Oral and written communication skills
§ Negotiation skills
§ Marketing skills
§ Basic leadership skills