Assistant Fire Chief of Operations and Training
Akima Intra-Data (AID) is fiercely focused on innovation and continuous improvement. Our flexible, full-spectrum portfolio of base operations support services enables our customers to reduce operating costs, improve productivity and enhance the value of their existing assets. Our personnel enjoy competitive benefits packages and challenging roles in work environments committed to safety, diversity and opportunity for career growth. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), 100% of our company’s profits go back to our more than 14,000 Iñupiat shareholders that have resided near and above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years. Our business helps support their way of life and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived in a challenging environment.
The Assistant Fire Chief of Operations and Training is responsible for supervising and leading of the fire and emergency services department operations and coordination and facilitation of all department training as well as the documentation and maintenance of personnel training records. This position will assist the Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chief as onsite management. Additionally, this senior executive should also be an outward facing leader and critical thinker with a broad knowledge of Emergency Management and related disciplines.
The Assistant Fire Chief of Operations and Training will assist in developing, establishing, and maintaining policies, procedures, and programs in accordance with the Statement of Work (SOW), provide direction, delegate duties and responsibilities, and ensure staff manage their assignments effectively. Responsible for exercising leadership, maintaining high morale, supervising officers and firefighters at an emergency scene and training, and equipping them for their duties. This position is responsible to ensure a harmonious environment and must take an active role to coach/counsel subordinate employees as necessary.
Responsible for protection of life and property and the direction and control of fire and rescue crews in the performance of routine and emergency work assignments.
Required to follow all company personnel and safety policies and perform all assigned duties in a safe work manner. Oversees the continued development of current and future fire department programs, while maintaining the high standards of preparedness and effectiveness required by the prescribed location. Synchronize and coordinate intra department support.
- Assess skills of personnel and create training plans. Develops, Plans, schedules, and conducts department training. Develops and maintains training system and records for department and personnel. Develops training budget.
- Supervises and assigns fire department personnel, organizes, and directs work, communicates performance standards and safety regulations, monitors activities, evaluates performance and develops recommendations for personnel and/or departmental changes to meet all contractual requirements in a highly efficient and effective manner.
- Receives budget information from subordinate supervisory personnel and assists in preparing departmental budget estimates and projected capital expenditures as required.
- Prepares reports to the Fire Chief or Program Manager summarizing departmental activities and status.
- Attends and participates, as directed, in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems, and maintains specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Maintains open lines of communication with subordinate staff regarding activities within their area of responsibility.
- Develops or assists in developing, maintains, and enforces departmental and company policies and standard operating procedures.
- Develops, administers, and enforces quality assurance standards in support of program and Fire Chief/Deputy Fire Chief.
- Must professionally interface with the customer and other contractors as necessary.
- Must review and evaluate job performance of subordinates as well as assess response crews for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Possesses extensive knowledge about motor vehicle laws and regulations of the State of California regarding emergency vehicular responsibilities.
- This position directly supervises other senior staff members and indirectly supervises their subordinates.
- Represents customer fire department at local, state, and national meetings and conferences.
- Must be able to meet and maintain physical standards
- Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs and customer requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (preferred) and ten (10) years’ experience in fire operations and management.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the technical field of fire science, firefighting, and technical rescue strategies and tactics
- Must have understanding Public Administration and Human Resources.
- Requires an understanding of DoD, Army (preferred) policies and procedures especially as it relates to Fire and Emergency Services.
- Understanding of NIMS IS-100, IS-200, IS-300, IS-400, IS-700, IS-800.
- Honorably discharged from the Armed Services (If Applicable)
- Successfully completion of all training – having obtained all required licenses, certifications, and security/medical clearances.
- DoD Secret clearance – a current/ active DoD Secret clearance is preferred.
- Fire Officer III [Required] Fire Office IV [Preferred] (IFSAC or Pro Board).
- Emergency Vehicle Operator [Required].
- IFSAC or Pro Board Fire Instructor III [Required].
- IFSAC or Pro Board Fire Inspector II [Required].
- Incident Safety Officer [Required]
- HazMat Incident Commander [Required]
- Health and Safety Officer [Strongly Preferred]
- National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer [Preferred].
- DoD Aircraft Rescue Firefighting [Preferred].
- Driver/Operator Pumper/Aerial [Preferred].
- National Emergency Medical Service Certification (EMT, AEMT, Paramedic) [Preferred, Paramedic Highly Preferred].
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Must possess thorough knowledge and experience of firefighting and technical rescue strategies and tactics.
- Must possess effective oral and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to successfully complete or already possess the required NFPA, NASA, DOD, and other applicable requirements and certification as prescribed by the USG SOW.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state driver’s license.
- Have no record or history of illegal drug use, sale, possession, or manufacture.
- Have no felony convictions and no convictions that reflect on the individual’s reliability.
- Must be able to meet drug testing and alcohol-free workforce requirements to include random drug and/or alcohol testing.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and standard office equipment.
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing (MSWord, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), and Outlook.
- Must meet the physical demands of fire and emergency services operations to include regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.
- During fire and emergency operations, may be exposed to extreme cold or hot weather conditions. Is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and loud noise.
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description generally cover the nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. This is not intended to be a complete list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Subject to the terms of an applicable collective bargaining agreement, the company management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as may be necessary. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Salary Range: $115,000 – $140,000 – The salary offered to the successful candidate will be determined based on the candidate’s qualifications, work experience, and their ability to meet the known requirements of the position as determined at the time of hire. Job location will also be a factor in determining the salary offered.
Benefits: The company offers a comprehensive benefits program, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and a range of other voluntary benefits.
Paid Leave: Paid Time Off (PTO) is offered to regular full-time and part-time employees.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, gender-identity or gender expression, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other legally protected status.
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you have a physical and/or mental disability and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position please contact, Recruiting Services at email@example.com or [Register to View] . The dedicated email and telephonic options above are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance. Please do not use the dedicated phone number above to call on the status of your job application if you do not require accessibility assistance or an accommodation. Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
The dedicated email and telephonic options above are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance to apply to an open position using our website.
Please do not use the dedicated email or phone number above to inquire on the status of your job application.
In order for our company to stay compliant with government regulations, please apply on line. Please DO NOT email resumes or call in lieu of applying online unless you have a physical and/or mental disability and need assistance with the online application.
Job: Health, Safety & Environmental
Shift: Day Job
Req ID: AID00478