Administrative Support (100713)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Operations Specialist provides operational, administrative, and analytical support to the District office including the Field and Production departments. This role may include assisting supervision with procurement, scheduling work, completing tasks, communicating with other departments, safety, assisting team members, handling customer inquiries and payments.Key Accountabilities
- Prepare, analyze, and evaluate reports on a wide variety of items including variances related to specific department work processes, regulatory requirements, budgets, capital expenditures, work orders, departmental and/or organizational performance, etc.
- Provide general administrative support for day-to-day managerial and departmental needs and special projects, which may include but are not limited to, composing correspondence, obtaining permits, preparing and distributing meeting minutes, processing purchasing card and fleet related expenses, initiating purchasing transactions, processing and tracking purchase orders and invoices, document preparation, etc.
- Respond to customer inquiries, which may include, but are not limited to, gathering information from operations leadership, speaking with customers, and explaining company processes and billing. Front-desk duties including handling walk-in customer payment & questions.
- Receive and distribute operational workflow requests and work orders.
- Enter data and perform analysis in information systems.
- Schedule daily operational work based on priority outlined by operations leadership using work management system.
- Work collaboratively with other functions to optimize business performance and customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrated organization ability and administrative skills. Effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize tasks. Effective problem solving and analytical ability.
- Thorough understanding of standard business practices and principles, including basic accounting and budgeting.
- Strong knowledge of computers, in-depth knowledge of Microsoft office suite applications and other pertinent software.
- Understanding of collective bargaining agreements (if applicable), safety and regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of water or relevant utility industry operations, water and/or wastewater distribution regulations, water system equipment, water system operations, piping, tanks, pump stations, construction practices, engineering concepts, company policies and procedures and effective safety practices.
- Reinforce leadership activities and decisions. Contribute to effective communication and culture by listening and providing feedback, supporting an open and honest work environment and cascading, and sharing knowledge and information relevant to employees.
- Assist with training and development, knowledge transfer, instilling safe work practices, regulatory and environmental compliance activities.
- This role may include assisting with field work including pick-up and delivery tasks, assessing repairs made by contractors, completing related paperwork and/or handling Public Utility inquiries
- This role may assist with fleet management, vehicle repairs and facility maintenance.
- High school diploma or equivalency required. Associates level degree in business or related field of study preferred.
- 5 years of overall work experience with at least 3 years in accounting, payroll, or administrative support work.
- Local and occasional regional travel may be needed.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.