Construction Tech-Splicer - ( 23003525 )
About the Role:
Construction Technician - Splicer is responsible for splicing various sizes of fiber optic and copper cables in both outdoor and indoor settings, including reading, creating and maintaining splicing schematics and diagrams; maintain control of outside plant (OSP) activities surrounding the assigned work site(s), supporting project timelines; maintaining the safety of the crew by providing direction regarding procedures, road safety, manhole safety and general on-site project oversight attending safety meetings as requested; daily record keeping (fiber route details, slack locations, splice locations and updating drawings) with any changes; maintaining material inventory, DOT vehicle inspection; and other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to, outside plant construction and any tasks associated with outside plant construction. The job will include work on weekends, holidays, standby, unscheduled hours and overtime. Travel is required and may be over 50% of the year depending on the business needs. This is a safety sensitive position.
What You’ll Do:
- Splice cables, using hand tools, epoxy, or mechanical equipment as required.
- Splice fiber optic and copper cables including both loose tube and ribbon optic cables. Construct a proper splice case, including but not limited to grounding, bonding, isolation, slack storage and sealing. Prepare and maintain splicing records, schematics and diagrams.
- Understand staking sheets and blueprints.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar with RUS standards, read and follow design engineers’ instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail and make recommendations for changes in running line or construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes to support project contracts as required.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to assess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfunctions.
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues including hand hole cleanup, sign placement, and weed control as required.
- Outside plant construction tasks.
- Other work as assigned.
- 5 or more years of experience, including pole climbing.
- OSHA 10 Hour Safety Course and Buck Squeeze (Pole Climbing Certifications)
- Proficient at operating various Construction Equipment.
- 1 year of copper and/or fiber cable splicing experience or related Trade School certification in-lieu of one year of experience.
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 75 pounds
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, year round
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights
- Ability to work an on-call schedule rotation as well as days/nights/overnights/weekends/holidays/overtime, as needed
- Valid driver’s license
- Minimum qualifications to obtain a CDL
- Ability to pass DOT certification
- Ability to Travel
- Exceptional time-management and attention to detail to complete all paperwork accurately and on-time.
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance Plans
- 401K Plan
- Health & Flexible Savings Account
- Life and AD&D, Spousal Life, Child Life Insurance Plans
- Educational Assistance Plan
- Identity Theft, Legal, Auto & Home and Pet Insurance
Windstream CIB Statement
Connecting people in a world of infinite possibilities. Windstream cultivates a workplace culture where innovation and belonging are the cornerstones of our success. We are dedicated to empowering every member of our team to contribute their unique talents and perspectives, fostering an environment where creativity and innovation flourish. Together, we strive to build a more welcoming and connected future, both within our organization and in the broader community we serve.
Our Employee Resource Groups:
- WinVets – Veteran Employee Resource Group
- WOW – Women Employee Resource Group
- WINPRIDE – LGBTQ Employee Resource Group
- WBPN – Black Professional Resource Group
- WARG – Ability Resource Group
- LaFamilia –Hispanic Resource Group
Windstream Holdings is a privately held communications and software company. Windstream offers managed communications services, including SD-WAN and UCaaS, and high-capacity bandwidth and transport services to businesses across the U.S. The company also provides premium broadband, entertainment, and security services through an enhanced fiber network to consumers and small and midsize businesses primarily in rural areas in 18 states
Actual base pay for this job will depend on the candidate's primary work location and other factors, such as relevant skills and experience.
Qualifications1 year job related experience. This is a safety sensitive position.
Primary Location : US-Iowa-New Hampton
Work Locations :
New Hampton IA 627 N Pleasant627 N Pleasant Hill
New Hampton 50659-1529
Job Category : Bargaining
EEO Statement: : Windstream is an equal opportunity employer. At Windstream, we celebrate the authenticity and uniqueness of our people and their ideas. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veteran status, current military status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, citizenship status, or any other status protected by law, and to give full consideration to qualified disabled individuals and protected veterans. The diverse voices of our employees fuel our innovation and our inclusive culture. Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing.
Req ID: 23003525
Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer including minority/female/disability/veteran; Without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or employment status. Windstream is a drug-free workplace.