Operations Specialist--Construction Team (Water Utility) (100179)
This position located in Delran is going to support our Field Operations team with Construction related work. If you like a job that isn't the same two days in the row, this is a job for you! You will be supporting our management team on items which may include: permits, work orders, reporting, ordering materials, creating purchase orders, interacting with our customers, completing as-builts, etc. We're in a fast-paced environment and looking for someone to grow with our organization!
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- The Operations Specialist provides operational, administrative, analytical and technical support to the Field and Production departments. This role may include assisting supervision with scheduling work, briefing employees, completing tasks, communicating with other departments, safety, assisting team members, handling customer inquiries, etc.
- This role may include assisting with field work including pick-up and delivery tasks, assessing repairs made by contractors, completing related paperwork and/or handling Public Utility inquiries.
- The percentage of time spent performing the key accountabilities of the job may vary based on the manager, departmental or functional unit needs.
- This role may assist with fleet management, vehicle repairs and facility maintenance.
- Coordinate or review operations processes and practices and assist in developing tactical plans for the team.
- Receive and distribute operational workflow requests and work orders.
- Enter data and perform analysis in information systems.
- Schedule daily operational work based on priority outlined by operations leadership using work management system.
- Respond to customer inquiries, which may include, but are not limited to, gathering information from operations leadership, speaking with customers and explaining company processes.
- Prepare, analyze and evaluate reports on a wide variety of items including variances related to specific department work processes, regulatory requirements, budgets, capital expenditures, work orders, departmental and/or organizational performance, etc.
- Provide general administrative support for day-to-day managerial and departmental needs and special projects, which may include but are not limited to, composing correspondence, obtaining permits, preparing and distributing meeting minutes, processing purchasing card and fleet related expenses, initiating purchasing transactions, document preparation, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other functions to optimize business performance and customer satisfaction.
- Reinforce leadership activities and decisions. Contribute to effective communication and culture by listening and providing feedback, supporting an open and honest work environment and cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to employees.
- Assist with training and development, knowledge transfer, instilling safe work practices, regulatory and environmental compliance activities.
- Audit work zones and operations facilities for safety, security, environmental compliance, productivity and efficiency.
- Performs activities to monitor and maintain inventory control, evaluates inventory levels and reorders as necessary. May perform receiving, stocking, distributing, and packing in addition to inventory control.
- Maintains inventory records and prepares reports. May work with vendors to resolve routine supply and distribution discrepancies.
- Demonstrated organization ability and administrative skills. Effective communication skills, both verbal and written. Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize tasks. Effective problem solving and analytical ability.
- Knowledge of water or relevant utility industry operations, water and/or wastewater distribution regulations, water system equipment, water system operations, piping, tanks, pump stations, construction practices, engineering concepts, company policies and procedures and effective safety practices.
- Thorough understanding of standard business practices and principles, including basic accounting and budgeting.
- Strong knowledge of computers, in-depth knowledge of Microsoft office suite applications and other pertinent software.
- Understanding of collective bargaining agreements (if applicable), safety and regulatory requirements.
- Minimum 2 years overall operations experience such as performing troubleshooting or repairs on water and wastewater distribution systems; meter reading and meter operations; installation or repair of pipe, valves and hydrants; and operating tools and equipment used in operations tasks.
- Other helpful experience includes: water system engineering concepts, construction management, operation of waterworks facilities including distribution systems piping, tanks, pump stations, pressure reducing stations with related equipment, controls and SCADA systems, data collection and leak detection technologies.
- Local and occasional regional travel may be needed.
- Indoor and outdoor work required.
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.