Construction Supervisor (100360)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
Virginia American Water, part of the American Water family has an opportunity for a highly motivated, collaborative and technically inclined professinoal to join our team as a Construction Supervisor, based in Hopewell, VA.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Manages and inspects the day-to-day activities of company funded and developer funded construction to ensure service reliability and regulatory compliance in accordance with Company policies and procedures and all applicable federal, state, and local governmental laws and regulations.Key Accountabilities
- Plan, prepare, and control local construction within established budget limits and schedules. (30%)
- Implement the Capital Investment Management Quality Program, processes, and procedures within area of responsibility. (10%)
- Manage capital projects and capital program within area from responsibility from inception to completion, including project justification, project costs, project delivery, and project cost forecasting. (20%)
- Coordinate construction activities with internal asset owners and other internal functions as required and with external contractors, suppliers, and consultants. (10%)
- Coordinate construction related activities with rights-of-way owners and other utilities within the public rights-of-way. (10%)
- Obtain or coordinate all required permits, licenses, rights-of-way, etc. required for development and construction within area of responsibility. (10%)
- Supervise the implementation of standards, targets, policies, and plans to ensure continuing increases in operational efficiency, effectiveness, and profitability.
- Ensure that operational integrity of quality, environment, reliability, health, safety, security, etc. is maintained during construction operations.
- Develop and direct cost-effective solutions to meet customers’ expectations and technical requirements and encourage best practice and innovation throughout all operational areas.
- Provide analysis and support to the Construction Manager by implementing effective reporting processes.
- Foster an environment of coaching and development within the workplace.
- Reinforce the importance of developing a diverse workforce.
- Support Business Development through operational analysis pricing and integration of water and wastewater business opportunities in both the regulated and non-regulated markets.
- Provide effective leadership by collaborating with other functional leads to mitigate business risks and enhance our ability to adapt to changing business environments.
- Contribute to effective communication by listening; providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business.
- All management are expected to be available and respond, as required, to Company incidents that involve water quality, treatment, environmental impact, customer service, employee safety, etc.
- The Construction Supervisor may be required to be on-call as needed after normal working hours and on weekends. Department management will establish on-call rotation schedules for supervisory staff. (40%)
- Knowledge of the regulated water/wastewater business within the region and the regulations impacting the business as well as applicable regulations, requirements, and trends within water/wastewater business.
- Knowledge of utility construction and project management practices, contract administration, cost estimating and construction technology.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures and management theories, practices, and trends, expert knowledge of process and operational areas.
- Clear written and verbal communication (e.g., fluency, report writing, presentations, etc.).
- Effective interpersonal skills (e.g., persuasion, negotiation, listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy, problem solving, internal consulting, etc.)
- Good leadership skills and presence and strong team building, collaboration and talent evaluation skills.
- Strong quantitative skills (e.g., analytical, technical, problem solving).
- Ability to supervise diverse types of construction across geographically dispersed areas.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a related field. Preferred experience includes supervising construction, managing multiple projects that compete for the same resource, and meeting performance targets.
- 2-year or 4-year technical degree (preferred) or equivalent experience.
- 80% Field, 20% Office
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.