Construction Inspector (98717)
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Camden, NJ, the company employs over 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 46 states. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Coordinates, inspects and assists with the construction of new water distribution and sewer collection system components in accordance with approved construction and engineering specifications, policies and practices of the Company. Will utilize expertise in construction field management, quality assurance, quality control, and report documentation. Will serve as primary field contact between the Construction Manager and General Contractors for water and wastewater utilities.Key Accountabilities
- Performs field inspections of the construction and maintenance of water distribution system and sewer collection facilities. Inspects and approves construction and installation of earthwork, concrete, piping, painting, mechanical and electrical facilities, and/or instrumentation as related to water and wastewater facilities or large infrastructure projects. Interprets, implements, and enforces contract documents and specifications Communicates deficiencies to proper persons. (20%)
- Utilize testing procedures, inspection protocols, construction inspection techniques and perform QA/QC functions. Ability to interpret and/or recognize possible conflicts with other underground facilities and/or utilities. (10%)
- Work with contractors to schedule utility outages in accordance with AW contract terms and customer requirements. Coordinates and approves contractor’s activities. (10%)
- Participate in construction meetings and provide information on schedule compliance, change orders, coordination. Coordinates between Construction Manager and engineering personnel and outside construction firms to maintain standards. Interacts and coordinates with customers and the public as it relates to the performance of construction activities. (20%)
- Reviews contractor’s safety program and enforces compliance with safety regulations. Perform all functions of the position in a safe and conscientious manner, with constant regard for the safety of fellow employees and the general public. Follows Company’s Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies. Wear and work in proper personal protective equipment. (20%)
- Compiles information and prepares construction reports and reviews as-built drawings as required. Assists in obtaining, preparing and maintaining reports, permits, maps, charts or records related to the construction. (10%)
- Performs other related functions assigned or as they become apparent or as management assigns. (10%)
- Some knowledge of civil engineering principles, practices and methods as applicable to a water and wastewater facility setting.
- Working knowledge of applicable laws, standards and regulations relating to construction, inspection and safety; considerable knowledge of inspection methods.
- Broad knowledge of water distribution and wastewater collection systems and their construction maintenance, construction, testing and disinfection.
- Working knowledge of engineering drawings, cut sheets and stake outs.
- Experience with construction inspections of water and wastewater facilities or large infrastructure projects.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Considerable skill in reading and interpreting construction drawings, plans and specifications, and contract documents; skill in applying material testing procedures.
- Ability to prepare, organize and maintain inspection field and office data, reports and systems
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Ability to understand and use an engineer’s scale. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex technical information, orally and in writing in a professional manner to contractors, employees, consultants, and other governmental agency representatives. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively using English.
- Required: High School Diploma, or general education degree (GED) with five (5) years’ experience in water and wastewater distribution and collection, construction of water distribution systems.
- Inspection experience in water and wastewater industry - 5 years minimum experience.
- Active, state drivers license.
- Primary location reporting.
- 50% local travel required to multiple installations.
- Champions safety
- Customer obsessed
- Cultivates innovation
- Nimble learning
- Drives Results
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.