Construction Engineering (Intern/Co-Op) (100201)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
This co-op experience will introduce you to the exciting career opportunities in the water and wastewater field. The successful candidate will:
- Learn firsthand how water utilities support communities and provide resiliency and sustainability
- Work with a team of engineers to develop water supply plans, asset management plans and support various types of engineering and construction projects and programs for the company’s water and wastewater systems.
Typical duties are diverse and designed around the education and experience level of the student. Assignments may include:
- Assisting in the preparation and review of technical reports, cost estimates and budgets.
- Assist in developing and updating technical standards and specifications.
- Performing literature reviews
- Preparing presentation materials and map displays using PowerPoint and GIS
- Performing analyses utilizing software such as:
- Microsoft Office (MSword, Excel, Access)
- Assist in preparing and maintaining files, records, drawings, reports, maps, charts, budgets and other data related to engineering and construction projects.
- Assist Construction Inspector in field activities
- Review construction shop drawings and submittals for conformance with the Technical Specifications.
-Strong written and verbal communication skills
-Strong techical aptitude
-Attention to detailExperience/Education
This opportunity is open to current college/university students.
Student should have successfully completed at least 1-2 years of an academic program from a Civil or Environmental Engineering program.
Competencies Champions safetyCustomer obsessedCultivates innovationNimble learningDrives ResultsCollaborates
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.