Sr Supervisor, Construction (101095)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.Key Accountabilities
- Assist with preparing and controlling local construction, operations, production and maintenance within established budget limitations.
- Establish a program that will ensure all EPA Partnership for Safe Water Goals will be met on a period-by-period basis.
- Ensure local water operations meet the required standards and are in compliance with regulatory targets.
- Supervise the implementation of standards, targets, policies, and plans to ensure the continuing and increasing operational efficiency, effectiveness, and profitability.
- Ensure that operational integrity (quality, environment, reliability, health, safety, security, etc.) is maintained.
- Develop and direct cost effective solutions to meet customers’ expectations and technical requirements and to encourage best practice and innovation throughout all operational areas.
- Implement effective reporting processes. Provide analysis and support to Production and/or Network Director with information required for various reports, budgets, and business plans.
- Implement and foster the coaching and development of employees, including idea generation, within respective functional areas.
- Ensure effective people management policies and practices are developed and implemented (e.g., time and attendance, workforce management, etc.) and ensure resources are developed and deployed appropriately.
- Continue to reinforce the importance of developing a diverse workforce.
- Support the Business Development function in the operational analysis pricing and integration of water and wastewater business opportunities in both the regulated and non-regulated markets.
- Work collaboratively with other functional leads to mitigate business risks.
- Implement effective communications at all levels of our operations.
- Provide effective leadership that will enhance our abilities to be flexible to changing business environments.
- Contribute to effective communication by listening and providing constructive feedback; supporting the creation of an open and honest work environment; cascading and sharing knowledge and information relevant to other members of the team and colleagues across the business.
- Supervise the workforce by use of the SAP Service Orders as well as MapCall used to monitor work force.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (e.g., fluency, report writing, developing materials and presentations).
- Strong interpersonal skills (e.g., persuasion, negotiation, listening, cooperation, tact, diplomacy, problem solving, internal consulting, etc.)
- High level of computer literacy required.
- Knowledge of the regulated water business within the region and the regulations impacting the business as well as applicable regulations, requirements, and trends within water business.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures and management theories, practices, and trends, expert knowledge of process and operational areas.
- 2 year or 4 year degree in operational discipline, management, or related technical discipline or equivalent.
- 3-5 years experience in supervising operational areas and operating units, and managing and meeting performance targets.
- Experience managing inventory and scheduling staff with various schedules
- Must possess or obtain a NY State Health Department Grade D Water Operators License within 1 year.
- Candidate will be required to become familiar with the Distribution System and daily operations to allow functioning as the back up to the Field Operations Supervisor.
- Candidate will be assigned On Call after hours duties on a rotational basis.
- Valid drivers license required
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.