Senior Wireless Field Technician
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing...
As a Senior Wireless Field Technician, you’ll be performing work primarily in support of identifying, troubleshooting, and repairing of the existing RAN network and supporting the market’s capital network enhancement projects. You will be engaged with a team of engineers to configure and integrate new routers, baseband units, radios and antennas for both 4G and 5G systems. This work will also involve working with other field and switch support engineers to troubleshoot issues with router configurations, fiber backhaul, radio link and hardware failures, and antenna VSWR/PIM and RET issues. It will require direct communication with tower crews to assist with ensuring equipment and connectivity of the RAN systems are correct and of the highest quality. This may also involve field visits to assist field engineers and tower crews as needed.
This position will be located primarily in the Duluth, GA MTSO and will also entail some of the collateral duties of the switch engineers, including maintaining switch ancillary equipment, edge network hardware, performing inventory audits and on call rotation. You’ll also be evaluating our network coverage and performance and finding ways to improve it. There may be opportunities to rotate with other Field Engineers between the MTSO and field environments in the Atlanta area to help improve the bench strength and knowledge of the other field engineers while providing a change of the daily work environment.
- Performing as a team member to configure and integrate 4G and 5G radio systems to support market network objectives.
- Providing guidance for optimization, troubleshooting, and maintenance of base station equipment, RF transmitters, and fiber networks.
- Performing testing and troubleshooting on both lit and dark fiber networks, integrate new network hardware, and help to improve the visibility and notification of simplex and hardware faults with the NMC and in the OC Tool.
- Assisting field engineers, system performance and tower crews with troubleshooting and mitigating VSWR and PIM issues and configuring and troubleshooting RET (remote electrical tilt).
- Promoting ownership and responsibility of the network, including the RAN, Backhaul and Database Systems, by acting as mentor to fellow engineers to learn and become more proficient with new technology and equipment.
- Evaluating and providing feedback of network coverage gaps and poor performance areas to appropriate groups to improve the customer experience.
- Conducting routine and preventative maintenance on network hardware to identify potential customer impacting issues.
- Complying with company and industry wide standard directives to maintain network performance, enhance efficiency, and ensure regulatory requirements are met and maintained.
- Understanding the team dynamic to create an atmosphere of teamwork, collaboration, communication, growth and efficiency.
- Facilitating knowledge sharing across all network teams, both internal and external to the market, including the Network Operations Support Team, IOP development and Operation Center teams.
- Working with cross-functional groups to complete projects, provide feedback, recommend improvements, and participate in group functional meetings.
- Driving changes that promote standardization to help the organization become more efficient in daily task, more effective to the customer experience, and more profitable for the organization’s growth.
- Volunteering and leading major projects involving peers and other groups with little supervision or oversite, providing meaningful information to leadership as required.
- Acting as delegate for Senior Manager as needed.
Physical requirements of the job may include, but are not limited to: climbing stairs and ladders, working from elevated areas, lifting and carrying objects weighing up to approximately 65 pounds, pushing, pulling, grasping, twisting/bending, and crawling, squatting, or kneeling in small spaces.
Where you’ll be working...
In this worksite-based role, you'll work around the Duluth area.
This role may be considered as part of the Department of Defense SkillBridge Program.
What we’re looking for...
You are a Tech savvy, self-starter and well-versed in all thing’s regarding wireless telecommunications. Working independently or as a member of a team suits you well. You’re also thorough, vigilant, and on top of the details. Both your written and verbal communication skills provide intelligent information to upper leadership or to your peers. You take ownership and responsibility to solve problems, develop solutions and mentor others to do the same.
You’ll need to have:
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of work experience.
- Three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to travel up to approximately 50% of the time.
- Willingness to work on-call rotation schedule (shifts) including nights, weekends, and holidays based on the needs of the business.
- Ability to report to designated job site/work location within 30 minute notice to provide rotational on call coverage for the Duluth territory.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Associate’s degree or two or more years of related work experience or with military ground, airborne or shipboard communications or electronics systems.
- Eight or more years of relevant work experience at a Network Operations or Assurance Engineer III level or higher.
- Ability to perform physical requirements of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Experience in troubleshooting single and multiport antenna systems from ground equipment to antenna using tools such a spectrum and network analyzers, PIM analyzers, and internal database test scripts.
- Experience in configurating and/or troubleshooting MIMO, RETs, fiber links, 4G/5G remote radio heads, internal and external PIM, and VSWR issues.
- Experience in vendor specific training and experience in 4G and 5G cellular networks, two-way radio, and microwave radio; specifically, Ericsson, Motorola, Nokia/ALU, and Aviat.
- Experience in dark and lit fiber testing and troubleshooting using equipment such as an OTDR, fiberscope, 2544/1564 testing protocols with Viavi or Exfo test equipment.
- Experience in configuring, troubleshooting and repair of dark fiber network utilizing Cisco, Ciena, Fujitsu, or Nokia 10G and 100G ring topologies.
- Experience in troubleshooting DC power systems such as Galaxy, Lorain, GE, ALU, ABB and Vertiv DC power systems.
- Experience in environmental alarming using Ericsson SAU, C2 Site Boss/Site Portal and Westell systems.
- Experience in maintaining and troubleshooting In-Building Systems from vendors Spidercloud, Ericsson DOT and low-power systems, ADRF, Teko, Mobile Access, Commscope/Andrew, ADC, Samsung, Voltserver, and others.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Network Administration, Computer Science/Programming, Electronics or Telecommunications.
- Experience in project management, leading large-scale projects involving multiple teams, with specific milestones and hard deadlines to complete.
- Knowledge of creating scripts and programs with Visual Basic, Python, Linux.
- Experience in computer support, including troubleshooting PC hardware and configurations.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.