Amentum is looking for a HVAC Mechanic to join our team in Washington, DC. The Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) Mechanic installs, services and repairs environmental-control systems in residences, department stores, office buildings, and other commercial establishments.
- Dismantle, troubleshoot, reassemble, and fix malfunctioning systems and test components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment.
- Utilizing knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting and structural layout, mount compressor and condenser units on platform or floor, using hand tools, following blueprints or engineering specifications.
- Fabricate, assemble and install ductwork and chassis parts, using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment.
- Install evaporator unit in chassis or in air-duct system, using hand tools.
- Cut and bend tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment. and tools; cut and thread pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment; join tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions; and solder joints, using torch, forming complete circuit for refrigerant.
- Install expansion and discharge valves in circuit.
- Connect motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connect control panels to power source.
- Install air and water filters in completed installation, inject small amount of refrigerant into compressor to test systems and add freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure.
- Observe pressure and vacuum gauges and adjust controls to insure proper operation.
- Test joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution.
- Wrap pipes in insulation batting and secure them in place with cement or wire bands.
- Replace defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units.
- May install, repair and service air conditioners, ranging from fifteen to twenty tons cooling capacity in warehouses and small factory buildings.
- Adjust or replace worn or defective mechanisms and parts and reassemble repaired systems.
- Perform all other position-related duties as assigned or requested.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- DC Refrig/Air Cond journeyman mechanic's license required.
- Knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting, and structural layout.
- Ability to use cutting and bending equipment and tools in order to make tubing the correct length and shape.
- Knowledge of pressure and vacuum gauges, with an ability to asses and adjust controls to proper operation.
- Ability to install and service air conditioners, with knowledge of freon gas.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Ability to repair machines or systems using the applicable tools.
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Two years of previous experience installing, servicing, and repairing environmental-control and air conditioning systems preferred.