Amentum is looking for an HVAC Mechanic to join our team in Arlington, VA to support our mission critical customer. The Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) Mechanic installs, services and repairs environmental-control systems in residences, department stores, office buildings, and other commercial establishments.
- Dismantle, troubleshoot, reassemble, and fix malfunctioning systems and test components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment
- Utilizing knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting and structural layout, mount compressor and condenser units on platform or floor, using hand tools, following blueprints or engineering specifications
- Fabricate, assemble and install ductwork and chassis parts, using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment
- Installs evaporator unit in chassis or in air-duct system, using hand tools
- Cut and bend tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment and tools, cuts and threads pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment, joins tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions, and solders joints, using torch, forming complete circuit for refrigerant, installs expansion and discharge valves in circuit
- Connect motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connects control panels to power source
- Install air and water filters in completed installation, injects small amount of refrigerant into compressor to test systems and adds Freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure
- Observe pressure and vacuum gauges and adjusts controls to insure proper operation
- Test joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution
- Wrap pipes in insulation batting and secures them in place with cement or wire bands
- Replace defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units
- May install, repair and service air conditioners, ranging from fifteen to twenty tons cooling capacity in warehouses and small factory buildings
- Adjust or replace worn or defective mechanisms and parts and reassemble repaired systems.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Virginia Journeyman (JHVA) or Master (MHVA) Heating Ventilation and A/C license required.
- Knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting, and structural layout.
- Ability to use cutting and bending equipment and tools, in order to cuts and bends tubing to correct length and shape.
- Knowledge of pressure and vacuum gauges, with an ability to asses and adjust controls to proper operation.
- Ability to install and service air conditioners, with knowledge of freon gas.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Knowledge and ability to repair machines or systems using the applicable tools.
- Two years of previous experience installing, servicing, and repairing environmental-control and air conditioning systems preferred.