Amentum is looking for a HVAC Mechanic to join our team in Washington, DC. The Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) Mechanic installs, services and repairs environmental-control systems in residences, department stores, office buildings, and other commercial establishments.
- Dismantle, troubleshoot, reassemble, and fix malfunctioning systems and test components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment.
- Utilizing knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting and structural layout, mount compressor and condenser units on platform or floor, using hand tools, following blueprints or engineering specifications.
- Fabricate, assemble and install ductwork and chassis parts, using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment.
- Install evaporator unit in chassis or in air-duct system, using hand tools.
- Cut and bend tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment. and tools; cut and thread pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment; join tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units by means of sleeves, couplings or unions; and solder joints, using torch, forming complete circuit for refrigerant.
- Install expansion and discharge valves in circuit.
- Connect motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connect control panels to power source.
- Install air and water filters in completed installation, inject small amount of refrigerant into compressor to test systems and add freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure.
- Observe pressure and vacuum gauges and adjust controls to insure proper operation.
- Test joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution.
- Wrap pipes in insulation batting and secure them in place with cement or wire bands.
- Replace defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses and electrical wiring to repair installed units.
- May install, repair and service air conditioners, ranging from fifteen to twenty tons cooling capacity in warehouses and small factory buildings.
- Adjust or replace worn or defective mechanisms and parts and reassemble repaired systems.
- Perform all other position-related duties as assigned or requested.
Amentum is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.