Work Where it Matters
Akima Facilities Operations (AFO), an Akima company, is not just another federal facilities contractor. As an Alaska Native Corporation (ANC), our mission and purpose extend beyond our exciting federal projects as we support our shareholder communities in Alaska.
At AFO, the work you do every day makes a difference in the lives of our 15,000 Iñupiat shareholders, a group of Alaska natives from one of the most remote and harshest environments in the United States.
For our shareholders , AFO provides support and employment opportunities and contributes to the survival of a culture that has thrived above the Arctic Circle for more than 10,000 years.
For our government customers , AFO sustains mission readiness and ensures quality of life by maintaining high value assets and operations at peak performance and successfully manages these operations through accurately forecasting, managing, and aggressively controlling costs.
As an AFO employee , you will be surrounded by a challenging, yet supportive work environment that is committed to innovation and diversity, two of our most important values. You will also have access to our comprehensive benefits and competitive pay in addition to growth opportunities and excellent retirement options.
Perform a variety of HVAC/R trade functions such as the installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration equipment. Work involves most of the following: Installing or repairing any variety of HVAC/R equipment such as air and water cooled chillers, AHU’s, cooling towers, VAV’s, EAV’s, CAV’s, Roof Top and DX units, environmental / walk-in boxes, incubators and humidifiers. Working from blueprints, drawings, layouts, or other specifications, locating and diagnosing failed components in applicable environmental systems or equipment. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Directly communicate with management, teammates and customers in the form of meetings, face-to-face or written communications.
- Troubleshooting equipment, performing project take-off’s and solicits quotations in support of procurement process.
- Executes scheduled and unscheduled tasks in timely manner with a strong focus on quality.
- Performs maintenance on all types of HVAC/R equipment.
- He / she will have the ability to communicate complex communication/equipment repair and/or replacement projects, intricate maintenance schedules, work plans, SOWs, and detailed cost estimates and will serve as the point of contact for work control.
- Will work closely with chief engineer and project manager ensuring all records and documentation are kept up-to-date.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have strong understanding of refrigeration theory.
- Must be versed in current codes and standard practices.
- Should have a minimum of five years’ experience in commercial / industrial facilities.
- Should present solid fundamental understanding of maintenance, troubleshooting and repair principles.
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED); or three years related experience and / or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must hold a current journeyman’s license (Virginia) and be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily.
- Experience with HVAC/R (maintenance, troubleshooting and repair).
- Experience with military and / or DoD facilities is a plus.
- Ability to facilitate all physical requirements specific to this scope of work successfully.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work in a sitting position for 8 or more hours per day;
- Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds on a regular basis and up to 50 pounds as needed.
- Must be able to travel to job locations by automobile.
- Take reasonable care for the Health and Safety of yourself and other persons who may be affected by your actions or omissions.
- Conform to all Safety Instructions given by those with a higher responsibility for Health and Safety.
- Report all hazards, potential hazards or dangerous situations, including damaged or mislaid personal protective equipment to your supervisor or Safety Representative.
- Report Environmental impacts, anything that results in a change to the Environment as a result of activities, products or services.
- Participate in the achievement of QHSE objectives and targets, both those at departmental and company level.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us at email@example.com or [Register to View] (information about job applications status is not available at this contact information).
Job: Maintenance & Repair
Clearance: Not Applicable
Shift: Day Job
Work Type: On-Site
Req ID: AFO00207