Skilled Maintenance & Repair Professional
Join our team at HKC Long Island for a meaningful job working in facilities management and maintenance supporting a worthy mission.
Spend your days outdoors working with other motivated, committed colleagues, with team spirit and a can-do attitude.
The Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds is seeking a professional maintenance & repair worker to join our team at HKC Long Island, as a Senior Maintenance & Repair Technician. On a 325-acre property, the Senior Maintenance & Repair Technician is part of a team of five (5) responsible for ensuring our grounds and facilities are properly cared for so they can be used safely by the day camps that call our grounds home.
Our Facilities Management team handle tasks such areas as mechanical, electrical or plumbing work, carpentry, tree management, pest prevention and land management.
- Pay: $22.00/hr
- Hours: Mon - Fri 7:00am - 3:30pm (hours may shift during the summer)
- Overtime Eligible: Overtime is paid at 1.5X your hourly rate. There are many opportunities for overtime in the weeks leading up to the start of camp.
We're seeking a candidate who is skilled in landscaping but has knowledge or experience in other areas such as tree management or mechanical work. The maintenance staff at the Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds play a key part in carrying out its mission of enhancing the day camp experience and providing a safe environment for the campers and staff who call our grounds home.
The Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds is an equal opportunity employer and offers a competitive benefits package with medical, dental, vision and life insurance and a 401K as well as generous vacation and sick leave, and paid holidays. The pay for this position is commensurate with the candidate's experience.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Operate necessary grounds keeping and heavy equipment such as mowers, tractor, chain saws, etc., in safe and efficient manner
- Assist in maintaining the grounds and facilities (i.e. landscaping, cleaning, painting, snow removal, trash removal)
- Perform minor mechanical, electrical, carpentry and/or plumbing work needed for maintenance and repair of buildings and facilities.
- Assist in maintaining in good working order all power and heavy equipment (i.e. preventive maintenance)
- Assist in preparing spaces for camp operations (pest and weed prevention, furniture reorganization, etc.)
- Maintain work environment consistent with OSHA regulations
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma or the equivalent
- Minimum of two years' experience in facility and site maintenance, grounds keeping or the equivalent.
- Knowledge of mechanical, electrical, plumbing and/or carpentry
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to understand and implement safety regulations and procedures
- Ability to walk, stand, bend and stretch
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Occasional lifting of equipment weighing up to approximately 100 pounds may be required.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to HKC operations.
- Ability to work on a team and work well with others
- Ability to accept guidance, direction and supervision
- Ability to safely drive cars, light trucks, tractors, and other motorized vehicles
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Home to 11 independently run JCC day camps, the Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds is a small non-profit that manages and operates three facilities located in Long Island, Rockland County and Staten Island.
Our MISSION is to enhance the camp experience and provide a safe environment for the campers and counselors who call our grounds home, which are thousands - on any given summer day we welcome around 2000 campers and camp staff at each site.
As a seasonal organization, in addition to our year-round staff, HKC hires 200+ seasonal workers that provide maintenance and janitorial services, aquatics supervision and security to ensure we can carry out mission and meet the needs of the camps who camp at HKC.
ALL STAFF WILL BE REQUIRED TO BE FULLY VACCINATED