Facilities Engineer (44385)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is for two (2) open positions with the FirstEnergy Service Company, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
The Facilities Project Management Engineer is accountable for all aspects of engineering and architectural work for new construction, renovations and additions to FirstEnergy’s portfolio of buildings and building systems. This engineer position is specifically responsible for all critical facilities and infrastructure including Data Centers, Emergency Operating facilities, and Transmission Dispatch and Regional Dispatch facilities. This position has responsibility for facilities at Regulated Generation Power Plants.
The scope of this position is engineering work, including all aspects of Facilities Project Design and managing, monitoring, and controlling projects to ensure that they safely achieve the Project deliverables within the approved scope, cost and schedule. The engineer provides support to all Business Units and reports through the Administrative Services department.
The engineer position can be located in the western Pennsylvania, West Virginia, or Maryland FE service territory.
- Developing architectural and engineering design packages for facilities and facility assets for new builds, modifications, or additions (electrical, mechanical, HVAC, building envelope, site work, etc.) across all Business Units from initial concept through detailed design, construction, start up and turn over.
- Reviewing Project documents for clarity and completeness – examples include scope documents, performance specifications, project plan, contracts, equipment and constructions bid packages, requisitions, Bills of Material or Material Requests for Issue, Task Authorizations, and Engineering Work Requests.
- Performing detailed performance analysis of FirstEnergy facilities.
- Establishing Project and contract budgets and review for adequacy and completeness. Initiate and ensure budget revisions made and documented when required.
- Ensuring change management protocols are followed.
- Coordinating all phases of detail designs, specifications, procurement, and bid evaluation and award process.
- Providing project status reports. Recurring, standard reports and ad hoc reports that address status of scope, budget and schedule and that identifies risks and issues and outlines mitigation strategy.
- Obtaining concurrence (or buy-in) from affected departments to support the proposed schedule and resource requirements. Review and approval of Project Plans.
- Establishing and validating project estimates including contingency.
- Developing, with input of the project team, the strategic and tactical execution plan for the project.
- Monitoring and/or reporting contractor resource levels.
- Ensuring adequacy of Project Team membership and participation. Oversees the activities of consultants and contractors assigned.
- Understanding the terms of the contract and associated documentation of services under the contract/purchase order. Upon mobilization to the site, reviews applicable topics during Pre-Mobilization/Pre-Construction meetings.
- Providing quality assurance (QA) and control of the Project, including identification of quality requirements, responsibility for QA program and if required, review and approval process for contractor provided procedures.
- Ensuring Project close-out and lessons-learned reviews are completed. Participate in audit of completed projects to evaluate whether identified objectives and benefits have been realized.
- Performing detailed performance analysis of FirstEnergy facilities.
- Providing technical support to operations groups as required.
- Developing and maintaining FirstEnergy engineering specifications incorporating current technology and practices.
- Maintaining a high level of safety commitment throughout day-to-day functions.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an ABET-accredited institution is required. Engineering Technology degree requires a PE license to meet position requirements.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years’ work experience is required with project design / management experience preferred.
- Professional engineer certification a plus.
- Demonstrated strong project management skills with an ability to develop, manage and control multiple projects and tasks.
- Working knowledge of building operating systems, health and safety issues, architectural and engineering disciplines, financial objectives, construction practices, construction documentation and industry related information technology preferred. Detailed Project Controls experience is a plus.
- Experience with Project Management tools such as Primavera, MS Project, etc., with related Scheduling/Resource Planning expertise is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi task, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Proficient in engineering economics and budgeting preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint). Project Scheduler and AutoCAD experience preferred.
- Able to read, interpret and understand facilities architectural and engineering drawings.
- Possess a working knowledge of codes and standards.
- Experience in the design and analysis of building systems preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of architectural, electrical, mechanical and energy management standards preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to lead organizational change, process management and process improvement.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong written and verbal communication skills and strong analytical ability to resolve complex technical issues are required.
- A team player and possess a willingness to work in a team environment with an ability to work cross functionally.
- Positive attitude and proactive behavior.
- Willing to travel to assigned project locations throughout the FirstEnergy service territory.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team