Principal Program Manager (100691)
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
If you are looking to merge your strong customer service, technology and project management skills and experiences, this might be the right career move for you! With the option of working from Alton, IL, our corporate headquarters in Camden, NJ, or based from other American Water Regulated Operations locations, the Principal Program Manager will lead a team in managing projects in the customer service space.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Principal Program Manager maybe located at any American Water Regulated Operations location, will reate, manage, execute and optimize Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) strategies that drive key performance indicators across activation, onboarding, engagement, retention and reactivation.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
• Keeping team productive and organized by building and managing a feasible roadmap; facilitating and fostering communication within and across teams
• Managing operations of the team through analytics, process adherence and leadership for resource and stakeholder management
• Developing detailed project plans and estimates based on identified risks and options with substantiated recommendations as appropriate
• Achieving project and business objectives for budget, quality metrics, and customer satisfaction monitoring, correcting, forecasting the estimate to completion and reporting on program progress
• Building out a successful customer self-service program that will allow for future customer growth
• Partnering with engineering and business development to ensure all aspects of the customer relationship are considered in defining the solution
• Leading initiatives to scale the Customer Support organization and operations to meet the needs of the business as we scale
- Providing project management for all assigned projects (e.g., large scale, multi-disciplinary business and IT system implementations) encompassing the entire project life cycle, associate tasks, communications, reporting, and production support.
- Consult with the business owners and process owners in defining business requirements and ensuring that requirements are met.
- Builds relationships and leverages influence skills to form a common business and technical solution that drives operational excellence.
- Mentor, and motivate program managers and project team members; influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Proactively manage changes in scope, identify potential risks, and devise risk-mitigation and contingency plans Act as a trusted partner, advisor and SME for cross functional stakeholders and Business Functions.
- Work with business users on priorities/goals and work towards meeting those goals.
- Expertise in project / program management
- Knowledge analyzing trends and conditions to inform various strategies
- Technical competency with broad understanding of the technical issues and ability to keep up to date with new appropriate technology skills
- Extensive knowledge and experience in Microsoft Office Products
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; excellent verbal and written skills
- Strong program management skills with the ability to plan project tasks/events and execute on time and on budget with quality at the forefront of everything
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work in an agile, fast paced and dynamic environment and be comfortable with constant change
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience for a large company or division requiring project management and executing on multiple priorities
- Experience with the water utility industry is highly desired, but not required
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Project Management, Engineering or related field/Master’s degree is preferred.
Certifications & Licenses
- Certified Business Process Professional [CBPP], Certified Project Manager (PMP) or Certified Scrum Master certification optional with equivalent certification [e.g., Project Management Institute's Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP)] will be a plus
- As required up to 30%
- Standard office environment
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.