Director of Customer Service (Call Center) (100392)
If you are a customer-focused professional, committed to living the company values while being motivated to improve the process for the sake of delivering the most rewarding customer experiences, you might be the perfect fit to join our team as the Director of Customer Service, supporting call center operations.
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 7,000 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to 15 million people in 46 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help make sure we keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
The Director will lead customer service operations (call handling, workforce scheduling, technical training, customer relations, facilities) and direct cost effective, high quality customer service and operational integrity.Key Accountabilities
- Develop and drive continuous improvement / innovation in operational strategies, systems, and processes in support of American Water strategy and aspirational goals. Drive initiatives in the management team and organizationally that contribute to long-term operational excellence. Define metrics to measure and support customer service and satisfaction. Analyze actual performance and reporting to targets and internal / external benchmarks. Implement improvements, or remediation of deficiencies in order to meet or surpass targets and ensure coordination and communication between all customer service functions.
- Lead, motivate and develop staff in assigned operational and customer service areas. Build shared commitment to improving business performance and develop both individual and team capabilities. Drive performance by linking customer service initiatives with overall business objectives, company goals and values. Communicate shared vision, energize and empower staff, and champion diversity. Establish and hold external service providers to service level agreements for a seamless customer experience.
- Work with key stakeholders to obtain and analyze data regarding customer service performance, metrics, product development and industry regulations.
- Oversee financial management, planning, systems and controls for the customer service team and function. Determine effective internal controls and identify factors causing deficient conditions and recommend an appropriate course of action to improve the conditions. Provide the strategic and operational input to annual business plans and control budgets for responsible areas. Reforecast and participate in regular business plan report meetings to ensure financial targets are properly reflected.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve a wide range of technical, process, and operational issues providing quick and decisive solutions.
- Encourage collaboration and support of cross-functional business initiatives to ensure quick resolution of business issues.
- Facilitate and lead on-going customer service / customer relations operational meetings (including weekly, monthly, and quarterly business reviews). Improve communications and efficiency through review of current policies and procedures and implementation of needed changes.
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal); demonstrated leadership skills, ability to work in matrixed organization.
- High comfort level working in a fast paced and diverse environment.
- Open to direction and collaborative work style.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects and initiatives.
- Delegate responsibility effectively.
- Proficiency with and adaptation of technology to enhance customer service and business processes.
- Expert knowledge of customer service business processes and technologies.
- Knowledge of the regulated water and wastewater utility business and its operations.
- Excellent grasp of leadership practices and relationship building approaches.
- Ability to deal effectively with and maintain productive relationships with employees at all levels in multiple locations including represented employees.
- Demonstrated experience in leading, motivating, and empowering employees to effect positive change and improve business performance.
- At least 10 years of experience successfully managing employees in the customer service (call center) or operational areas including represented employees
- Strong business acumen with planning and forecasting experience.
- Bachelor's degree in operational discipline, management, or related discipline. Master's degree preferred.
- Up to 25%
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.