Distribution Tech I / II / III - Lines - Massillon Service Building (55524)
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with Ohio Edison, a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
Resume Deadline: June 3, 2022
Market Rate: Dist Tech I - $57,500; Dist Tech II - $72,000; Dist Tech III - $83,000
- Demonstrate and direct a solid commitment to all aspects of safety.
- Provide reliable support to supervision and foremen by planning activities, managing the work queue, staffing, equipment, materials, tools, switching orders, permits, work package instructions, etc. required to operate, maintain and/or construct overhead/underground line facilities.
- Assist supervision in establishing work commitment dates and take steps to expedite delivery when necessary and/or practical.
- Communicate with customers, property owners, architects and engineers to develop electrical distribution designs to meet requirements and work.
- Interact with internal/external customers on inquiries concerning construction and maintenance activities.
- Coordinate work request activities with the appropriate group to establish job start and completion date, and prepare cost estimates.
- Gather information for installations by performing a field investigation which identifies measurements, terrain, assesses conditions, buildings, equipment clearances and obstacles.
- Prepare work order packages and requisition materials, close out work orders and record constructed additions, changes and removals on maps and records.
- Perform pre- and post-construction work request assessments to facilitate optimal resource utilization, and reconcile differences between design and construction.
- Program voltage recorders, download, and interpret readings and prepare work orders to correct issues. Perform voltage loss calculations and check transformer loading.
- Procure easements/right-of-way (includes surveying, recording easement/agreements at local courthouse, contacting customers, getting documents notarized).
- Call in UG Utility locates (i.e., OUPS, PA ONE CALL, MISO Utility Tickets).
- Assist with compiling and completing Claim packets.
- Manage time and priorities, and update management on work in progress, backlog of work, section productivity and all other applicable status updates.
- Conduct research, develop alternatives/solutions, and provide work process improvements by anticipating needs, developing or recommending solutions, and accepting ownership.
- Assist management by providing technical reports and metrics to ensure compliance with FirstEnergy practices and procedures. Interpret report analysis and prepare recommendations based on the analysis.
- Analyze and assist with regulatory inspection work as needed.
- Follow existing processes and improvement practices to develop and support appropriate documentation, communication, and training.
- Discuss work to be performed with crew lead and other crew members to address special needs, equipment, vehicles, flaggers, and review prints when necessary.
- Process bills and payments, invoice reimbursable projects, enter invoices in SAP, and perform account reconciliation.
- Provide Mobile Data Terminal (MDT) and WMI support.
- Assist during emergencies and storm-related activities and travel to various off-site locations as well as FirstEnergy office locations, training facilities and customer sites, when requested.
- Attend all required regulatory training.
Dist Tech I: Employees are in a learning curve with minimal experience, acquiring new skills, and basic discipline specific knowledge. Requires direct supervision and assistance.
Education - Bachelor's Degree (preferred in Engineering Technology or related discipline) + 0-1 years of related work experience. In lieu of Bachelor's Degree, minimum of 2-4 years related work experience is required.
Dist Tech II: Employees are proficient in job skills, demonstrate and apply an intermediate knowledge of skills required to perform the responsibilities, develop and display a questioning attitude; requires a lesser degree of supervision.
Education - Bachelor's Degree (preferred in Engineering Technology or related discipline) + 1-2 years of related work experience. In lieu of Bachelor's Degree, minimum of 3-6 years related work experience is required
DistTech III: Employees exhibit full job competency, and have the ability to perform advanced responsibilities in an independent manner; requires minimal to no oversight of supervision.
Education - Bachelor's Degree (preferred in Engineering Technology or related discipline) plus 2-4 years of related work experience. In lieu of Bachelor's Degree, minimum of 5-8 years related work experience is required
*Note: Related work experience is knowledge of construction and maintenance practices, procedures, work methods, materials, equipment and tools which would be used to determine the resources necessary to perform construction and maintenance work activities.
- Current knowledge of National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electric Code (NEC).
- Current knowledge of the Customer Guide for Electric Service (CGES).
- Current understanding of the Company’s Accident Prevention Handbook and Manual of Operations and the practical application in the workplace.
- Interpret work requests, engineering drawings, schematics, equipment instruction manuals and procedures to aid in the development of accurate work plans.
- Current knowledge of:
- The purpose, function, and operating characteristics of equipment, distribution design, residential, commercial, and utility electrical distribution systems.
- Construction methods, maintenance practices, service practices, standards and procedures.
- Gain an understanding and knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements as appropriate.
- Develop, collect, organize, and analyze information from a variety of sources to develop reports and provide information on backlog and productivity.
- Professionalism to work with engineer and management personnel, as well as interface and work cooperatively with customers, contractors and the general public, in a courteous manner that demonstrates FirstEnergy’s rules of engagement.
- Maintain strong working relationships at all levels.
- Self-motivated and able to multi-task with competing priorities.
- Provide quality customer service, both internally and externally.
- Possess solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Experienced with PC software applications including Microsoft Office, (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.) and Outlook, along with knowledge of SAP, geographical information system (GIS), customer request work scheduling (CREWS), Click, power outage reporting system (PowerOn), computer aided drafting (CAD/AutoCAD) and Energy Delivery Outage Application. Experience with database query tools (Hyperion/BRIO, Business Explorer Analyzer (BEX), Cognos).
- Must have a personal vehicle to commute to various facilities and locations as required and possess a valid driver’s license
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team