Patient Education Liaison, Rare Diseases, Northeast Territory ( R-08095)
Title:Patient Education Liaison, Rare Diseases, Northeast Territory
Company:Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals Inc.
The Patient Education Liaison, Rare Diseases, Northeast Territory is part of the Patient Services, Rare Diseases organization and is a field-based role accountable for providing education to patients and their caregivers/families to ensure they have patient-relevant disease information as well as an appropriate understanding of the clinical profile and administration recommendations of Ipsen products. Their role may at times also include broadly educating on complex reimbursement issues and requirements necessary to initiate and maintain therapy. This team embodies Ipsen’s approach to working with patients for patients.
This is a complex position requiring coordination with other Ipsen teams (Medical, Clinical, Communications and Patient Advocacy, Regulatory, Compliance, Marketing, Value and Access, Care Coordination Team, and other field-based colleagues) to facilitate alignment and to ensure patients are supported throughout their journey in a most appropriate, compassionate, ethical and compliant way. The Patient Education team operates under the guidance of rigorous SOPs requiring close attention to detail.
The PEL, as with all other employees, is fully accountable for compliance with all laws, regulations and policies that govern the conduct of Ipsen activities.
Main Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Lead local efforts to provide patient-relevant disease-state and treatment education to patients and their caregivers/families , and their communities in the Northeast territory.
- Lead local efforts to engage with and facilitate patient education via individual family meetings, group meetings, and patient organizations and communities in the Northeast territory. Assist with these efforts at the region and national levels.
- Provide, proactively and in response to requests, relevant, approved patient-oriented disease/product information.
- Organize and/or participate in patient and patient group engagement in a variety of settings including one-on-one settings, meetings and conferences of all sizes, and using a variety of communication media.
- Facilitate, attend and/or staff patient community events.
- Organize and facilitate patient speaker programs using contracted speakers and following guidelines and SOPs.
- Respect the privacy of patients and their caregivers/families and manage all personal information in accordance with all laws, regulations and policies.
- Facilitate and/or deliver educational services to patients, caregivers, patient organizations.
- Help patients and caregivers connect with Ipsen Patient Services resources to address complex reimbursement issues, insurance options and limitations, benefits, and requirements necessary to initiate and maintain therapy.
- Collaborate with other field roles, including Area Disease Managers and Clinical Science Specialists, to appropriately and efficiently respond to requests and to coordinate patient disease and product education activities.
- This is not a promotional selling role and is not accountable for delivery of organization sales goals.
- Act in full compliance with all laws, regulations and policies.
- Utilize only approved resources and messages to perform function responsibilities.
- 60-75% domestic travel is required; occasional international travel may be required as needed
- It is the responsibility of all company employees who receive information pertaining to a possible adverse event (AE) or serious adverse event (SAE) to understand that the appropriate clinical and regulatory personal must be notified of the event promptly upon receipt regardless of severity.
Core Competencies (including but not limited to):
- Market, Disease and Product Knowledge
- Customer Understanding, especially Patient
- Operational Planning
- Customer Engagement
- Results Orientation
Qualifications, Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in nursing (i.e. RN) or equivalent or certified genetic counselor is required, an advanced degree and/or relevant certifications would be a plus
- Note that this role does not involve the practice of direct patient care
- 5+ years Pharma/Biotech experience in specialty products, including interacting with providers, patients and caregivers rare disease experience is a plus
- 3+ years' experience in designing / delivering patient and/or consumer oriented health education
- Excellent understanding of patient-literacy concepts and ability to communicate complex scientific/medical information into patient-friendly language
- Superior communication and presentation skills with the ability to navigate difficult conversations
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, seek answers and drive to solutions
- Proven track record of consistently meeting or exceeding quantitative and qualitative goals
Ipsen Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. conducts background screening, reference checks, and drug testing as part of its pre-employment screening process. This description is not intended to be constructed as an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities, or requirements for the position. This position may change or assume additional duties at any time. The employee may be requested to perform different or additional duties as assigned.IPSEN is an equal opportunity employer that strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.