Senior Director Team Lead, Medical Affairs Oncology, Global Scientific Training
Merck’s Global Medical and Scientific Affairs mission is to communicate and generate medical evidence to help those responsible for health-care decisions make informed choices that improve access and health outcomes for patients around the world. The Field Medical Center of Excellence and Global Scientific Training (FM CoE & GST) organization trains our high-performing field medical teams, who are viewed by external stakeholders as preferred scientific peers and partners who support their patient care efforts. As an organization we create and deliver skill building and scientific and managerial training that enables FM teams to achieve execution excellence.
- The Global Scientific Training (GST) Team Lead Senior Director (TL Sr Dir) is a leadership role within the FM CoE & GST organization. The role reports directly into the Head of the FM CoE & GST organization and is a member of the leadership team. The TL Sr Dir leads and manages a team of GST directors (and associate directors as appropriate) who are responsible for the development, review/approval, and deployment of scientific training and associated curricula for all FM personnel globally. The TL Sr Dir has oversight of and accountability for the core processes associated with Global Scientific Training development such as development SOPs, implementation SOPs, and supporting systems.
- The TL Sr Dir is accountable for four core activities, all which have global scope and impact: 1) Developing GST plans to support the Annual Value Evidence and Medical (VEAM) teams plans, which includes ensuring strategic collaboration with the Therapeutic Area Strategy Leaders as well as Field Medical Leaders in the regions and countries to assess and incorporate training needs, 2) Close collaboration with the GSC leadership to ensure aligned processes, communications, and synergistic activities, 3) Managing and overseeing the delivery of GST to the field through collaboration with countries and regions, and 4) Measuring and evaluating the quality of scientific training. A high degree of collaboration is required with the Core Skills and Capabilities Director, the Global Medical Affairs Strategy teams, the Global Scientific Content Teams, the Global Medical and Value Capabilities (GMVC) Hubs, and Regional Field Medical Leadership.
- The GST TL Sr Dir is responsible for team management, setting appropriate priorities, high-functioning team leadership, and personnel development.
Responsibilities and Primary Activities:
Leads and manages the therapeutic area (TA)/product GST team by
- Providing strategic leadership through facilitating or advising strategy development while demonstrating foresight and Global medical community awareness
- Coordinating and leading budget process for assigned area
- Implementing Our Company’s principles including a growth mindset as part of the building the best teams and talent at Our Company to build highly effective and talented teams
- Providing ongoing assessment of team members’ competencies and developing and implementing individualized employee development plans to provide growth opportunities
- Championing leadership-development initiatives and practices that contribute to a strong and diverse succession pool
- Creating a work environment that encourages team members to follow the full intent and spirit of policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Exemplifying and recognizing/rewarding leadership behaviors that support Our Company standards to assure the development of the next generation of leaders
- Providing guidance to the Company, the Global Medical and Scientific Affairs Leadership Team (GMSA LT), and FM leadership to support high quality, impactful scientific training
- Ensuring effective collaboration between their team, the Global Scientific Content team(s) and Therapeutic Area (TA) Strategy teams
- Ensuring compliance with industry and company standards for review and approval of training curricula and associated materials
Leads Scientific Training processes and initiatives by
- Leading efforts to define, develop, and update processes related to development of GST plans and curricula
- Leading efforts and contributing to the development of training-related policies, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and execution guides
- Identifying innovative training approaches to improve effectiveness, engagement, and efficiency of scientific and medical training
- Identifying, contributing to, and/or leading ongoing transformation initiatives for the FMCoE, GMVC, or GMSA
Develops GST plans by
- Partnering with the VEAM teams to translate Global Medical objectives into Scientific Training objectives
- Collaborating with key stakeholders cross-functionally and in the regions to obtain plan input
- Assessing knowledge gaps and training requirements for Field Medical
- Leads the development of annual training plan for the Therapeutic Area Field Medical Teams aligned to the VEAM plan
- Incorporating metrics into the GST Plan to address both reach and effectiveness
- Socializing the GST plans with key regional Field and GMVC stakeholders to ensure alignment
Manages the creation of curricula and materials based on GST plans by
- Defining the requirements of the curricula needed to support the GST plans
- Providing input to GSC on content needs for scientific training, including current and future training needs
- Collaborating with GSC to align on the timing and outline of the content to be provided
- Managing the curricula and supporting-materials development to ensure they meet the defined requirements
- Developing training materials consistent with adult-learning principles
- Leading the review and approval process of training materials
- Collaborating with CoE Core Skills & Capabilities Director to ensure role-based capability training is incorporated into the curricula as appropriate
- Identifying, managing, and collaborating with external agencies to assist training material development
- Ensuring the quality of the curricula and materials and resolving issues
Manages the delivery of GST by
- Collaborating with the region/country leads to establish a high-level training calendar and plan based on the GST plans
- Maintaining ongoing communications with the region/country leads to ensure they are aware of any timing or content shifts during development
- Supporting the execution of GST in the regions by training regional trainers and assisting in the collection and summarization of metrics
- Ensuring allocation of resources are aligned with strategic priorities and development activities are within budget
- Measures and enhances quality by working with regions/countries to gather feedback for future training enhancement
Collaborates cross-functionally by
- Partnering with other key stakeholders (e.g., Publications, Scientific Affairs, medical directors, medical science liaisons (MSLs), Compliance, the Product Development Team (PDT), Center of Observational and Real-World Evidence (CORE)-Value Evidence Sub Team (VEST)) to ensure alignment with plans for publications, clinical trial development, labeling, and CORE and GST plans
- Collaborating across functions (i.,e., Global Health Systems and to develop and execute the Scientific Training plan)
Required Qualifications, Skills, & Experience:
- PharmD, PhD, DNP, MD + minimum 8 years of relevant medical communications or medical liaison experience, or
- MS degree in life sciences + minimum 15 years of relevant medical communications experience, or
- BS degree in life sciences + minimum 20 years of relevant medical communications experience
- Subject matter expertise, project- and vendor-management proficiency, persuasive skills, and the ability to lead without direct authority over a continuum of stakeholders
- Knowledge of Our Company Systems (e.g., Veeva Vault, Share Point, Axonify Discover) to manage training materials, approval processes, and training material life cycles
- Pharmaceutical industry and/or clinical experience in the relevant therapeutic areas of responsibility
- Relevant working experience in Medical Affairs in the pharmaceutical industry
- 2+ years of experience managing people
- Ability to work in a complex organization environment and to effectively operate in a team-oriented global structure
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (written as well as verbal) skills
- Proven ability to lead in a team-based and matrix environment with good networking and cross-functional management skills
- Experience creating and implementing training programs
- Understanding of adult-learning principles
- Advanced degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, DNP)
- Prior people management or team leader experience
- Experience managing projects globally
- Field-based medical experience
- Knowledge of the publications process, understanding of scientific platform development, and experience implementing global medical communications processes
- Therapeutic competency in the relevant therapeutic areas of responsibility
- Prior experience working within multiple regional regulations and compliance requirements
- Scientific communication skills (writing and verbal)
- Strong analytical skills and ability to translate strategy into action plans
We are a research-driven biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is built on the simple premise that if we “follow the science” that great medicines can make a significant impact to our world. We believe that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to world-class science can succeed by inventing medicine and vaccine innovations that make a difference for patients across the globe.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Employees working in roles that the Company determines require routine collaboration with external stakeholders, such as customer-facing commercial, or research-based roles, will be expected to comply not only with Company policy but also with policies established by such external stakeholders (for example, a requirement to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to access a facility or meet with stakeholders). Please understand that, as permitted by applicable law, if you have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 and an essential function of your job is to call on external stakeholders who require vaccination to enter their premises or engage in face-to-face meetings, then your employment may pose an undue burden to business operations, in which case you may not be offered employment, or your employment could be terminated. Please also note that, where permitted by applicable law, the Company reserves the right to require COVID-19 vaccinations for positions, such as in Global Employee Health, where the Company determines in its discretion that the nature of the role presents an increased risk of disease transmission.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Under New York City, Washington State and California State law, the Company is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the salary range for this job. Final determinations with respect to salary will take into account a number of factors, which may include, but not be limited to the primary work location and the chosen candidate’s relevant skills, experience, and education.
Expected salary range:$193,440.00 - $304,500.00
Available benefits include bonus eligibility, health care and other insurance benefits (for employee and family), retirement benefits, paid holidays, vacation, and sick days. For Washington State Jobs, a summary of benefits is listed here.
Learn more about your rights, including under California, Colorado and other US State Acts
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme LLC, Rahway, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License: