Engineer in Training - Edmonton (96524)
- Req ID: [[id]]
- Department: [[filter6]]
- Job Type: [[jobLevel]]
- Position Type: [[relocationPack]]
- Location: [[filter3]], [[filter2]]
- Country: [[filter1]]
- % of Travel: [[travel]]
- # of Positions: [[numberOpenings]]
- Job Available to: [[jobAvailable]]
- Deadline to apply: [[closeDate]]
Canadian Pacific is a transcontinental railway in Canada and the United States with direct links to major ports on the west and east coasts. CP provides North American customers a competitive rail service with access to key markets in every corner of the globe. CP is growing with its customers, offering a suite of freight transportation services, logistics solutions and supply chain expertise. Visit cpr.ca to see the rail advantages of CP. For more on our purpose, culture, and strategy, visit cpr.ca/en/about-cp.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
As an Engineer in Training you will be expected to provide CP with effective project and construction management of internally and externally funded railway projects; including track, bridges, structures or other related facilities. The successful candidate will conduct feasibility studies, site reconnaissance, site surveying, project development and conceptual and detailed engineering design. The individual will also be responsible to direct and coordinate site work activities associated with assigned projects ensuring completion within targeted budget and finish dates. This is a development role with opportunities for near term advancement.
- Directly manage the execution of assigned projects and deliver projects within defined scope, on time and on budget;
- Oversee design and permitting of assigned projects;
- Provide direction and oversight to engineering consultants working on CP projects;
- Prepare cost estimates, memos, technical reports and external correspondence;
- Provide conceptual design alternatives for internal business case reviews;
- Coordinate work activities with internal and external departments and customers to ensure the safe, cost-effective and responsive execution of projects and programs;
- Provide construction management of assigned projects;
- Represent CP at meetings with Public Agencies where coordination/approval is required for project execution;
- Provide timely and responsive service to Business Development for 3rd party customer projects;
- Review 3rd party customer and/or external projects to ensure CP Standards are met and CP operations are not impacted;
- Provide safety leadership through efficiency testing and job site safety audits;
- Provide on-call support and response on a rotating cycle for incidents and emergencies to support CP’s 24/7 operation;
- Requires travel when necessary to visit project sites and manage on site work.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering – Civil (Mechanical or Industrial backgrounds will be considered);
- Must be P.Eng eligible;
- Minimum of 1-3 years of experience (co-op experience considered);
- Must have valid driver’s license;
- Knowledge of track maintenance practices would be an asset;
- Strong problem solving skills and decision making skills;
- Strong data analysis experience required;
- Must be proficient with MS Office, experience with SAP would be an asset;
- Excellent verbal and communication skills;
- Strong leadership and technical skills.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
As an employer with national presence, the possibility does exist that the location of your position may be changed based on organizational requirements.
Operating safely is a core foundation of CP. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CP’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety sensitive position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
Management Conductor Program:
Becoming a qualified conductor or locomotive engineer is the single best way for a management employee to learn the business at CP. You may be required to obtain a certification or to maintain your current certification/qualification as a conductor or locomotive engineer.
CP is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act ("PIPEDA").