Veteran Services Community Liaison
Daemen University is a dynamic, independent, liberal arts institution committed to excellence in student centered learning. The University places special emphasis on preparing students for excellence in professional life, civic engagement, and on instilling and understanding that learning is an exciting lifelong journey. Students are encouraged to be creative, innovative, ethically minded leaders for an ever-changing, diverse, and interconnected world.
The Mission of Daemen University is to prepare students for life and leadership in an increasingly diverse and complex world through the integration of education and professional preparation. Daemen University is going beyond instrumental needs to foster the development of individuals who are dedicated to the health and well-being of local and global communities.
Purpose of Role
The Veteran Services Community Liaison is responsible for building and maintaining Daemen's recruitment and referral network with local and national veteran-serving organizations, cultivating strategic partnerships with higher education institutions and military bases, and facilitating access to programs and training. The Community Liaison will develop strong relationships with prospective student veterans and support student veterans in their pursuit and persistence in obtaining a degree from Daemen University
About This Opportunity
Joining our Center for Diversity and Inclusion, The Veteran Services Community Liaison will be responsible for the following:
- Promote Daemen University and Veterans Services within the community.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with external stakeholders including community organizations, institutions of higher education, military bases, businesses, and alumni.
- Reduce barriers to participation in post-secondary education through consistent communication and coordination with veteran-serving and other organizations.
- Actively engage prospective students at fairs, visits, and events.
- Develop supportive relationships with student veterans in pursuit of a Daemen degree from initial application and enrollment through to graduation.
- Ensures that eligible and potential students are informed about their benefits, new and existing laws governing the same, and veterans' services available to them through proactive communication.
- Assist with establishing scheduled services and programs within Daemen's Veteran Success Center.
- Assists with data collection, evaluation, and reporting.
- Additional duties as reasonably assigned.
The Veteran Services Community Liaison must have a minimum of Bachelor's degree in counseling, social work, education, or related field and a minimum of 1 year of experience administering military and GI Bill education benefits. The Community Liaison will develop and maintain collaborative relationships with veteran serving organizations and institutions of higher education in order to increase student veteran enrollment at Daemen and to develop a network of services and programs for Daemen's veteran and military-affiliated students (V/MAS). As a member of the CDI team, the Community Liaison will help foster an environment that addresses the unique needs of student veterans; promote diversity, inclusion, and respect; and empower student veterans to thrive. The Community Liaison must have experience facilitating community relationships, assisting veterans with various issues within higher education, and developing programs and services. The Community Liaison must possess excellent leadership, interpersonal, customer service, project management, organizational, and verbal and written communication skills. Veteran status is preferred. Regular local travel in personal vehicle is required, eligible for mileage reimbursement per University policy.
- Ability to work independently, and to arrange information sessions and visits, set appointments, and promote Daemen in a positive manner.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills, conflict resolution skills, coalition-building skills, and the ability to work with a wide variety of groups inside and outside the University.
- Commitment to diversity, including working with all underrepresented groups of students, developed cross-cultural competencies and an understanding of issues facing all marginalized groups.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, and community organizations to facilitate a positive learning environment for V/MAS.
- A flexible work schedule that will include days, evenings, and some weekends is required.
- Ability to work both in a team setting as well as independently.
- Experience with electronic database systems or related systems; experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
Daemen University offers a robust total compensation package that includes:
- Health insurance with an option of two plans: an HSA plan with the deductible funded by employer HSA contributions, or a copay plan.
- Dental insurance through the Guardian network.
- Vision insurance through the Guardian network, and an option between the VSP or Davis plans.
- An 8% employer contribution to the retirement savings account when employees contribute just 5%.
- Fully paid long term disability insurance, guaranteed-issue life insurance for new hires up to a volume of $150,000.
- Tuition waiver for full-time employees and their qualified dependents. Entrance in Tuition Exchange scholarship opportunities to pursue education at other institutions.
- Generous time off for administrative and staff employees.
Daemen University strongly encourages all campus community members to get vaccinated for COVID-19, including a booster vaccine.