Outage Coordination Engineer
FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
The Outage Coordination Engineer is part of a team responsible for outage coordination, pre-written switching, and the next day analysis of the Transmission Control Center. The Outage Coordination Engineer will utilize various study tools to develop safe switching and mitigation solutions based on existing and proposed outages on the Transmission System.
- Assuming responsibility for all outage coordination activities within the Transmission Control Center for the FirstEnergy Transmission System Operational support team.
- Coordinating all planned transmission outages with PJM, Transmission Operations, Generator Plant Operations, Regional Distribution Offices and field personnel utilizing FirstEnergy's EDOA and PJM's eDART systems.
- Processing switching requests submitted by regions and transmission project management.
- Maintaining compliance with PJM outage coordination requirements.
- Coordinating outages with internal and external sources.
- Interfacing with the Power Network Analysis (PNA) group for model updates needed to obtain better study solutions.
- Analyzing outage requests for contingencies utilizing the EMS Study Network Applications (STNET).
- Providing solutions to scheduling concerns.
- Writing procedures for taking equipment out of service, restoring to service and test energizing.
- Providing support to Transmission System Operators regarding switching controls.
- Providing technical support to control centers.
- Supporting the administration of databases used to support the control centers.
- Preparing scheduling reports for operating companies.
- Coordinating work activities with other FirstEnergy departments including Transmission Planning and Protection, Substation Design, Transmission Line Design, Project Management and Real Time Systems to ensure collaboration on projects.
- Developing mitigation procedures as needed, working in conjunction with Transmission Planning and Protection.
- Assist management with the preparation and delivery of Risk Assessment documents.
- Maintaining operating instructions, prewritten switching and one-line drawings required to support switching requests and operation of the Transmission System. Instructions include: substation descriptions, transmission line descriptions, bus restoration procedures, line restoration procedures and switching documents.
- Assisting with entering outages in EMS Outage Scheduler and verifying acceptance as part of daily STNET review.
- Attending and participating in Engineering Planning/Construction and Regional Planning Sub/Line Construction meetings.
- Evaluating, preparing, assembling and reviewing all switching controls daily to ensure safe and reliable operations.
- Ensuring 100% compliance of all North America Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and ReliabilityFirst (RFC) requirements.
- Providing assistance during emergencies and storm related activities.
- Supporting the Transmission Operations Portfolio process.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) from an ABET accredited institution is required. Acceptable alternatives are: (1) a Professional Engineer’s (PE) License (2) a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering or technical field of study (non-ABET) plus an advanced degree in Electrical Engineering from a university with an ABET accredited Bachelor’s program.
- A Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Certificate is preferred.
- Minimum of 3 (three) years of Engineering experience is required.
- Knowledge of the electric transmission system, reliability standards and regional transmission organizations is beneficial.
- Knowledge of NERC and RFC standards and policies of the electric utility industry is preferred.
- Experience in analyzing complex problems and demonstrating good judgment in decision making is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to manage diverse projects.
- Demonstrated experience in accomplishing responsibilities in a timely manner through maximizing organizational resources and employing logical approaches.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, with multiple departments in multiple locations.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills and ability to perform in professional manner.
- Proficient computer skills (Word, Excel and Outlook) required with core understanding of applicable technical products and/or services.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team