FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [FEU]
This is a position in the Asset Operations group and is located at the Center for Advanced Energy Technology (CAET) in Akron, Ohio. The primary function of this position will be to support the functions of the CAET facility. This position will be responsible for developing operating standards, cyber security baselines and test procedures for new and existing protective relays and other operational technology cyber assets across FirstEnergy’s Bulk Electric Transmission System. This position will also be responsible for monitoring software and firmware patch releases, testing the patches for applicability on the FE Transmission System and developing software and firmware upgrade deployment and testing plans for the above mentioned cyber assets. The CAET facility will also house a training complex for Relay Technicians, Communication Technicians, Commissioning and Substation Engineers and others and will be supported by this position and staff as well as personnel from the Work Force Development department. This position will also support other functions within the Asset Operations organization including the addition and maintenance of devices to FE’s interactive remote connectivity platform, supporting the remote gathering and storage of on-line transmission apparatus monitoring devices for use within the engineering groups as well as the Asset Health Center application and supporting the transmission capital portfolio development as needed.
- Working with the Transmission & Substation Services Department, develop new or refined relay test routines and protocols
- Assisting in the development of new or in the modification of existing maintenance practices to address changing technology, new equipment types, improved test and diagnostic methods, regulatory changes, etc.
- Working with FE IT Department, recommend design standard changes to the IT/OT interfaces within FE Bulk Electric Transmission System assets where applicable.
- Maintain the integrity and cyber security of FE’s transmission operational technology cyber assets across the FE Bulk Electric Transmission System.
- Monitor manufacturer’s, vendor’s and industry wide announcements for cyber vulnerabilities and feature enhancements of FE’s Bulk Transmission Operational Technology Cyber Assets.
- Working with the vendors and the IT department on the mitigation of any vulnerabilities identified.
- Monitor industry trends and international design standards pertaining to cyber security of protective relaying and other transmission substation operational technology and recommend design standard changes where applicable.
- Working with the Work Force Development Department to develop training material for new and existing operational technology being deployed on the FE Bulk Electric Transmission System.
- Recommending Transmission Reliability Enhancement projects.
- Provide transmission portfolio support through spare equipment management and equipment replacement recommendations
- Assisting in performing Forensic, Apparent Cause and Root Cause analyses, including formally documenting findings through the preparation of technical reports and presentations
- Assisting in the education of others on technical subject matters and in the improvement of technical programs and process effectiveness.
- Conducting technical research and analyzing highly complex data
- Recommend and implement technical solutions to complex issues and assignments.
- Independently anticipating and meeting internal/external technical needs.
- Deriving business requirements from various internal and external stakeholders to develop solutions, processes, and procedures.
- Developing process improvements and efficiencies to improve work products.
- Maintaining a safe workplace for coworkers and the community based upon knowledge of potential hazards and industry regulations/requirements.
- Providing a high level of customer service, continuous support, and proactive involvement to leadership and fellow peers surrounding technical subject matter, analyzing and interpreting test data, maintenance records, and SAP cost data.
- Working with Cascade and Maintenance Compliance personnel and IT organization as needed.
- Providing support to FEU personnel on information and /or reports related to Substation Assets.
- Actively seeking ways to build challenge and add value within scope of assignments.
- Consistently anticipating and delivering results.
- Providing advice, education, and encouragement to others.
- Aiding during emergencies and storm related activities.
- Performing Business Unit system administration and performance monitoring.
- Support users of the Crossbow application.
- Support commissioning of new devices at substations.
- Recommending improvements to strategy, application usage and process.
- BS degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited school (Electrical preferred) required, or a P.E. License. Engineer III level requires minimum of 3 years of professional engineering experience. (Advanced degree a plus).
- Understanding of substations, substation equipment and devices preferred.
- Knowledge of substation equipment maintenance practices is preferred.
- Strong consideration will be given to those with previous experience in the design, maintenance or testing of substation equipment
- Familiarity with the understanding, application, and communication of microprocessor-based protection and control equipment is preferred
- Commitment to FirstEnergy’s Safety Policies and the Accident Prevention Handbook
- Ability to read and understand substation design prints and bills of material preferred.
- Ability to analyze large datasets, familiarity with databases and database structure preferred.
- Familiarity with the following – Cascade / QlikView / SAP / TOA / DobleWeb is preferred.
- Familiarity working with databases is preferred.
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office tools, including Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Demonstrate a questioning attitude to continue to learn, produce results, and strengthen existing relationships.
- Desire to continue to learn and grow, work across FirstEnergy, deliver results, and manage others.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with employees at all levels of FirstEnergy Corp.
- Deliver quality, accurate work within established deadlines.
- Strong analytical and technical abilities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present complex subject matter to all levels of management.
- Some travel required; must possess a personal vehicle and valid driving license.
- Desirable to have a good understanding of relevant technology solutions, such as GRC, IAM, Security Information & Event Monitoring, Intrusion Detection and Prevention Systems, and Data Diodes.
- Desirable to have expertise in Operational Technology environments and Internet of Things (IoT). Specifically, with a good understanding of Industrial Controls Systems (ICS), such as SCADA, DMS, EMS, DCS, historian, RTUs, PLCs, RAS, and relays.
- Understanding of relevant cybersecurity standards and regulations pertinent to utility environments, such as NIST SP 800-52/53, NERC CIP, NEI 08-09, ISA 99, NIST CSF and C2M2.
- CISSP, CISM, and/or CISA certification preferred.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team